Han Suyin - 3.13

"Come on, we have to go." Han Xiu spoke.

After the soldiers stopped their gawking, they stood up and got ready. They wiped out the amazement on their faces and stood back in their previous formation. Biyu was still staring at the tall man, completely fascinated.

Han Xiu stood at the front so that the soldiers can see him. "Listen up! We're going to start our journey to Jiandan today, we'll rest at night and resume the next morning. It should take around a week or so to reach there." His voice turned husky due to the yelling which was like music to Biyu's ears.

"Yes, Captain Han!" The soldiers yelled.

Han Xiu started walking and the soldiers followed. He was tall, lean, and slightly muscular, his authority and power were in each step he took. Fu Guan caught up with Han Xiu and slapped his back.

"Ouch, what was that for?"

"You didn't tell us that you were going to dress up as a man!"

"I did." Han Xiu replied, still in his deep voice.

"When?!"

"When I was briefing all the soldiers about the situation, I told them that I am a man in the eyes of the other soldiers in Jiu, so I have to become one on our journey."

"How come I didn't hear that?" Fu Guan fussed.

"You were too busy picking what robes you were going to wear."

Fu Guan grunted. He kept on staring at Han Xiu's chiselled face. He took his finger and poked Han Xiu's cheek. "You look more handsome than your father when he was your age."

"Thanks."

"I was better-looking though."

Han Xiu rolled his eyes. "Alright. What is the girl doing here?"

"She was hiding out in the forest, she joined us a few moments after you left to dress up as a man."

Han Xiu sighed. "She doesn't know that I'm not a man. Send her back."

"I think she's going to want to follow you now more than ever." Fu Guan wiggled his brows.

Han Xiu furrowed his brows and looked behind him. Biyu was standing in between the two groups of soldiers. She didn't expect Han Xiu to turn around, so she was caught staring at him. She gave him a shy smile and avoided his gaze.

Woah, what?

Han Xiu groaned. "This is going to be terrible."

"At least she's not trying to talk to you." Fu Guan consoled.

"Um, excuse me?" A soft voice was heard from behind the two men.

"I spoke too soon." Fu Guan said.

"You think?"

Han Xiu looked back while he was still walking. "Yes?"

Biyu had to take a few steps back just to see the man's face properly. Looking at his attractive face, Biyu couldn't form any words.

"I-I wanted t-to um..."

Han Xiu raised his brows, indicating for her to keep going. Biyu's face started to turn red again and she ran to the back so that she doesn't embarrass herself in front of the man. Han Xiu was left staring at an empty space.

Fu Guan laughed and came to Han Xiu to slap his back again. "Man, this will be fun."

...

Through the course of a week, Han Xiu put up with Biyu's attempts at conversing with him, only for her to run away. He was feeling bored on a particular day, so he smiled at her when she called him. This made the poor girl trip on her own clothes and fall to the ground. The ground was muddy where Biyu fell, making her face get covered with mud.