twenty-five..

Anthony

I held on to Leah's waist as she pushed the buggy down the freezer aisle at Walmart. We were grocery shopping and of course, I was making it hard. Hell I wanted to try any and everything. Me and Kirsten were just throwing random things that we wanted in the basket.

"Really Ant? You're allergic," Leah said, picking up the jar of peanut butter that I put in the basket.

"But it's so good."

She sighed, putting it back on the shelf. "It won't be if your dang throat close up." She continued to push the buggy down the aisle but I pulled her to me, her back to my chest. "You gon be my nurse tho, regardless." I kissed her cheek before letting her go.

"Kirsten Isabella, no ma'am," Leah said shaking her head. I looked up to see Kirsten putting the chips I told her go get in the basket. She looked at me and then down at the chips.

"Them mine mama. I told her to go and get them," I said walking up. Kirsten real cause she could have snitched on me but she didn't. My baby loyal and smart.

We made our way to the drink aisle and I thought about my Budlight. "I'm a be right back bae, gotta go get my beer." I jogged off to the alcohol aisle. I bumped into somebody but apologized and made sure they were straight.

KyLeah

I swear between Ant and Kirsten, I was about to lose my damn mind in Walmart. I knew I should've left their a** at home but when I tried to sneak out, Ant caught me. Since he wanted to go, Kirsten did too. Next time I'm shopping at midnight when they sleep. I'm just glad Randy wasn't there cause I definitely would not have came.

"Kirsten, can you go down to the end and get the red Gatorade for Anthony please?"

"Yes ma'am. And the blue Gatorade for you?"

I smiled and kissed her forehead. "You're just perfect."

"I get it from my momma," she smiled, walking off. I laughed at her shenanigans. I know Ant taught her that. I reached for the water but of course it was too high. I looked around for a worker but no one was around. I swear I don't know how Walmart is a billion dollar franchise but they never have enough employees. I decided to just climb and get it.

"Thank you," I heard Kirsten say. I wasn't even thinking she probably had the same problem I did.

"You're welcome pretty lady."

My head shot up and in the direction of the voice. This isn't happening to me. Nope, not right now. I rebuke the devil. Water jug still in my hand, I rushed over to them, pulling her behind me.

After 8 years, I was standing face to face with the man who molested me. The man who was supposed to protect me, care for me, but instead he destroyed me and took from me. I hated him with everything I had in me. I wanted him to feel what I felt, hurt like I hurt.

"Well, hello KyLeah."

"Stay the f*ck away from me and my daughter."

"Your? You mean OUR right?" He questioned with a smirk. He grazed his finger across my cheek and I smacked his hand away. "Still feisty huh?"

"Kirsten, go stand by our stuff," I said. I didn't want her to hear how sick his really was. "Yes ma'am." I heard her little footworks and turned my attention back to my Uncle Rodney.

"She's cute. She's about what? 8 or 9? Same age as you were. She a sweet little thing too. I wonder tho," he paused, tapping his temple before leaning in to whisper in my ear, "Does she taste as sweet as her mother?" He kissed my ear and I pushed him back. I swung, with the jug of water in my hand, and hit him across the head, causing it to burst.

"I'm not my mother! If you touch a STRAND of hair on her head, God so help me, I WILL kill you and rot in prison with a smile on my face!!!" I watched as he walked away before going back over to Kirsten.

Breathe. Leah. Breathe.

"Mommy." Kirsten said, tugging on my shirt. I looked down at my baby girl, tears in my eyes. I kneeled down to her. "You okay mommy?" I nodded and she wiped the tears from my face. I hugged her. "I love you mommy."

"I love you too baby."

"So yall don't luhh me?" Ant said, walking up behind me. He had a hand full of sh*t and I stood up, shaking my head. I walked over to him and pecked his lips. "Of course we love you big poppa."

He put the stuff in the basket before grabbing my face. He stared at me for what seemed like forever without saying anything. I tried to break eye contact but he wouldn't let my face go.

"Why you tryna hide from me? Huh?" I shook my head. "No reason."

"Is that right?" I nodded. He pecked my lips and turned my body toward the buggy. We continued down another aisle, Ant and Kirsten steady picking up sh*t. "Aye ma."

"Yes, Anthony?"

"You know you owe Walmart a dolla and eight cent for that water jug you busted right?"

I stopped pushing and looked dead at him. He winked causing me to laugh. "God, you're so annoying."

"You like it."

"Is that right?" I said mimicking him. He straight faced me before pushing my head. "Don't play with me."

"Why you so abusive? I'ma tell Maddie."

"Chill man, you know she crazy."

I laughed because he was right. Maddie was the definition of crazy. She'd be ready to pop off at any given moment. We finished getting food and headed to the electronics department so Ant could get a game and I wanted to see what movies were out.

"Hey Ant," some chick said, all flirtatious. I just stood there, shaking my head. I was about to walk off but Ant pulled me back by my belt loop. "Where you going?"

His eyes penetrated mine and I got lost in them for a minute. "Uh- to go look at movies."

"Aight. Gimme kiss." He puckered his lips and closed his eyes. He was so damn childish. I quickly pecked his lips and went to the movie section.

-

Rita turned the key in the lock and stepped inside of her house. She reached for the light switch but damn near jumped out of her skin when it came on by itself. She turned to see her brother Rodney sitting in the chair.

"H-how'd you get in here?"

He smirked, holding up the spare key that she had in the flower pot for emergencies. "It was an emergency."

Rita quickly walked past him, into the kitchen. Rodney came in behind her. "I thought you said she was dead?"

"Who?"

"Don't play dumb with me. Your daughter."

"I don't have a daughter. She is dead." Rita said, as if she were a robot. When it came to saying it, she was a robot. She had said it everyday, trying to make herself believe that her daughter and granddaughter were dead. When Leah came back to see her, she closed the door on her and told her she didn't have a daughter. That was the only way to protect them.

In fear, she slowly reached for a knife but Rodney grabbed her arm. "Uh, uh, uh! Now why would you do that?"

He ran his free hand down her sides and slid her dress up.

"Rodney no, please. You don't have to do this. You don't have to be like dad," she pleaded as he undid his pants. They fell to the floor as he pushed her head down on the table and entered her from behind.

"I have to teach you a lesson. This is how I was taught."

She cried and he shhhh'd her. "It'll be over soon," he mumbled, the same words his father mumbled to him when he was a little boy. Nobody knew what he did but Rita, because she was molested by their father too.