Silver White Winters

14 months later
---------------------------

The tiny cabin in Switzerland was compared to that of a nursery rhyme

The tiny cabin in Switzerland was compared to that of a nursery rhyme. It was rustic to say the least. Nestled in the middle of a hill surrounded by a lovely garden that was covered in white snow. A creek that typically flowed and sparkled in the spring was cold and glassy. The abode was tiny and cozy, money was tight but so was the family in it.

The kitchen was warm and filled with numerous smells and the one room it shared with the living area was jam packed with an assortment of chairs around a farm table. In the middle of the room two sofas that didn't match were pushed corner to corner and served as the primary sitting area. Off the right was a bathroom and cramped room that held a bed and a cradle and a small wardrobe. A tiny staircase to the left of the kitchen led to the upstairs where another bathroom was located with a few other bedrooms. One was an actual closet that held narrow bunk beds the other two rooms held two and three girls respectively. The house was littered with plants and pictures and carvings that made it feel more cramped but simultaneously more homey.

A Christmas tree sat behind the couches in the corner and glowed. Many happy faces also were scattered about.

Maria was in the kitchen with a now 14 year old Louisa and they were harmonizing merrily to the tune of silent night. A seven year old Gretl was sitting on the counter watching he mother and sister continue cooking the dinner of the year as she licked the spoon from the pie they had just put in the oven.

Brigitta came storming in with a look of disappointment "Gretl, I called licking the spoon" the loud 11 year old said as she reached for the spoon her little sister was holding and the two began to bicker. Liesl, now a young woman, was sitting on one of the couches knitting and stood up abruptly and grabbed the spoon from Brigitta and licked it once herself before beginning to wash it.

"No fair" Gretl complained

"We'll all get a piece, it's better than a spoon anyway" Liesl assured and then swung her little sister off the counter and she and Brigitta ran off while Liesl resumed her knitting.

"Lou, would you hand me that" Maria said pointing to the salt as she was stirring a pot of potatoes.

"Yes" Louisa answered and handed it to her mother. She then walked up behind her and Louisa rested her chin on Maria's shoulder. She took a deep breath "it smells good as always, I'll never get it right" the girl complained.

"Yes you will darling it just takes time besides it's your mother's recipe. It'll be good no matter what". Those recipes were one of the few things Maria had grabbed from the villa over a year ago.

The door swung open and burst of cold flew into the room. "If it snows anymore it'll be taller than me" A thirteen year old Kurt said shivering and carrying in some firewood followed by his father.

"That's an understatement" the Captain said, holding wood and heading to the fireplace and the two set to work. Kurt and his father had become especially close the past few years and He was probably the most level headed teenager out of the bunch.