I Pray this is Happy Family in Thy Sight

The last few days before the wedding were filled with commotion as plans for the wedding were coming together in organized chaos. Maria still took care of the children just as before but the Captain would also take over at points, saying that if they were to be married that he had to do his part., not just her.

Max was still at the villa and was incredibly excited for his best friend and knew this crazy and spontaneous family was going to make it, even if they didn't make it to the festival. He also had agreed to stay with the children while the others were on their honeymoon, in order to have a familiar face around, and it wouldn't do him any harm either.

The wedding was two days away and that night the family was in the sitting room. The Captain and Maria on the couch, Marta on her father's lap and Kurt next to Maria. The others were in various chairs and on the floor. They were reading the secret garden, per Brigitta's request. They had read multiple chapters and noticed some yawns arising from the children.

"I think it's time you all get to bed" The Captain shut the book and shook Marta a bit.

"Oh no, I want to know what happens next" Louisa yawned

"The girl, Mary, reminds me of mother and her rose bushes" Kurt leaned against Maria. She looked at the Captain, his face full of worry over the statement.

"Kurt" Liesl said curtly from the chair she was curled up in.

"No, tell me about her" Maria turned back to the boy.

The captain sighed in relief and Marta relaxed once again.

"But you'll be our mother now, what about uhh, mother?" Gretl got up and stumbled to the woman. Maria picked her up and set her on her knee.

"Just because I'm going to be your new mother doesn't mean you get to forget your own mother." She smiled at the girl and then to the Captain. She then looked at the older children "it's up to you to keep her memory alive, to tell the younger ones what she was really like. She is still your family, even in heaven. She's watching over you now and she helped send me here to be your mother now. Don't ever stop telling stories about her, she's part of your life, and an important part at that" she concluded and she meant every word.

"Are you sure?" The captain asked

"When have I ever not been sure" she retorted "now Kurt tell me about these rose bushes".

The older children told stories for another hour. Maria was honestly intrigued with the woman and would have loved to meet her. The Captain and the children found Maria that much more admirable because she was willing to listen. However one by one the children drifter off to sleep until only the three oldest were left awake.

"Thank you" Liesl said "for listening"

"We haven't talked about her like this in so long" Friedrich sighed

"Too long" Louisa added

"I've got the message" the Captain nodded "but now I've changed and agree with Maria. It's important to keep her memory alive" he smiled gently at his kids.

"Well now I really think it's time for bed" Maria spoke from under a sleeping Gretl. Marta was stretched out on her father and Kurt had retreated to the floor where he and Brigitta were sound asleep.

"Here father" Friedrich said getting up and reaching for Marta. The Captain handed the little girl to his son and walked to his other daughter. He picked up Brigitta like a baby. Maria stood slowly so as not to wake Gretl and Liesl got Kurt up and he stumbled along with his two big sisters behind him.

The family went upstairs to the hall that contained the rooms. Friedrich and Maria went into the little girls' room and they set them down softly "You're so good with her" Maria notes towards the boy.

"I was the first of the kids to hold her and I held her when I found out about mother, we just click, like Gretl and Liesl.

"That's special" she remarked.

"Yeah but you're the only one who's good with all of us" Friedrich chuckled. Maria held the door for him and they met Liesl and her father in the hall. Maria saw him peck Louisa on the cheek and her door closed. Maria watched him with his children now, soon to be hers, and was genuinely proud of how much both parties had grown. Months ago he didn't know his children and now he had a unique bond with every one of them.

"This feels normal" Liesl sounded surprised

"If I keep lifting Marta and Gretl I might become a weight lifter" Friedrich chimed in.

"I know Liesl, it's unbelievable" Maria added as the Captain put his arm around her.

"Goodnight" the siblings said and walked to their rooms.

"I'm going to wake up and go from having no children to seven" Maria almost realized

"They were pretty much already yours" the Captain said as the two began to descend the stairs

"This is cruel of me to say.." Maria began

"What?"

"Sometimes I imagine how the baroness was going to be their mother. If they put a frog in my pocket, and they like me, what would they have done to her?" Maria snickered

"The possibilities are endless" the Captain chuckled as well.

"Speaking of which, how did you know there was a pinecone in my chair?"

"Brigitta and Louisa came to dinner way to early"

"Oh my goodness, I thought they loathed me" Maria admitted.

"They liked you, they just didn't know it yet" he smirked.

"Sounds familiar" she gave him a knowing look.

The Captain shrugged "where would you get an idea like that?" He smiled as he wrapped his arms around her and kissed her.

Yay! This season is over! They'll be married by the next chapter, but the anschluss is coming....

Thanks for reading!💛💛💛