VIVA LAS VEGAS-1/81

I startled when the telephone rang.

„This damn phone!", I thought while I was rubbing my eyes, „It's the middle of the night!"

I turned on the lights and gazed at Elvis. I was scared that he might had been woken up by the ringing but he was still sleeping tight. Obviously he hadn't moved at all because he was still laying in the same position. The pills did their job. Unwillingly I crawled out of bed. What was so important?

„Yes?", I answered the phone.

It was Toni, the receptionist: „Idy, I have a caller for you from Florida."

„In the middle of the night?", I murmured.

„I'm sorry, but it's already morning. You must have had a very good night sleep."

„What?", the curtains in my room were closed and I hadn't noticed that the sun was already shining outside. However I didn't want to wake up Elvis.

„I'm coming down and will take the call there."

„Okay."

Quickly I put on some clothes. I took another look at Elvis who had just murmured something in his sleep and turned around. I waited a second and realized that he was still sleeping. I left the room silently and closed the door behind me.

Down at the reception Toni greeted me with a big grin on his face: „Did you have an exciting night?"

I was still very tired. Grumpily I took the receiver and murmured into the phone: „Who is this?"

„Idy, is that you? It's Johnny!"

Suddenly I was wide awake: „Oh, hey Johnny. What's up? How is it going in Florida?", I tried to act like I had no idea that Elvis had escaped.

„He is with you in Las Vegas, isn't he?", Johnny sounded worried.

The entrance hall was very busy at that time of the day. I was afraid that someone would hear what I was saying. Therefore my answers were very short: „Mmmmmm", I answered.

„Okay, I understand! You can't talk right now. Please just say YES if he is with you."

I didn't answer because I didn't want to reveal that Elvis was in Las Vegas. The Colonel and Johnny would try to get him back to Florida. I was so happy having him back with me and I wanted him to stay.

„Listen, Idy. If he is with you, what I really hope, it's okay. It would be best for him not to show up here after the fight with that reporter. There are press people everywhere right now. We had to stop filming. Please mind the press. They are up to no good. Don't talk to them, do you hear me? They will tear you apart. Please just say YES if you understand."

Suddenly it came to me that I was exposing myself to the public just by standing at the reception and taking the telephone call. I was scared when I looked around. Any of these people could be a reporter. Meanwhile they knew who I was and after all the things that had happened and all the things that had been written, I felt insecure. I got nervous. All of a sudden I wanted nothing more than hiding in my room.

„Idy? Are you still there?"

„Yes!", I answered shortly, then I hung up.

Toni looked at me: „Everything alright, Idy?"

„Yes.", I answered.

I looked around. I was scared because suddenly I felt this deep suspicion about all these people around me. So this was the price you pay for being famous? I felt a cold shiver running down my spine. I asked myself how Elvis managed to approach his fans so openly, without being scared at all. Or did he also have bad feelings from time to time? Was that the reason for his restlessness? In this moment I hoped and prayed that he would make his promise come true and step away from show business. But would that be possible at all? Would the king of Rock'n Roll be able to live an ordinary life?

Caught in my thoughts, I went back to my room, when suddenly somebody grabbed my arm. Every fiber of my body froze immediately. I didn't dare to turn around. I tried to free myself and run away.

"Where are you going, Idy?", I knew that voice.

"Michael?", I turned around.

"Are you okay? How are the babies doing?", he seemed to be pretty worried.

I put my hands around my belly instinctively: „They are very lively, but we are doing fine, thank you!", then I tried to pass by him in order to get to my room as fast as I could.

„Wait a minute!", Michael was still grabbing my arm, a little too tight.

„I have to go! Would you please let me go?", again I tried to get me out of it but Michael kept holding on to me.

„Damn it, Michael! Let me go! What is this all about?", I yelled angrily.

„Did you notice all the people from the press who are surrounding the hotel? They have been here since yesterday and they refuse to go away. The told me that Elvis is here."

I couldn't stand his gaze and stared at the floor. Michael grabbed my arm even tighter.

„Idy! This is madness! If you know anything, you have to tell me. I'm not able to guarantee the security of the hotel anymore. Our guests are feeling bothered by the press. Rumor says that Elvis disappeared from the movie set in Florida. If he is hiding here, I urgently have to know, Idy!"

„Let me go!", I ordered him. He backed off unwillingly.

„I don't know where Elvis is!"

„Okay, I believe you.", Michael took a step forward and came really close to me. His dark eyes sparkled, „But be aware that there is still this death thread. They haven't caught the guy yet who did this. If Elvis is hiding here and I know nothing about it, something really terrible might happen."

My heart was pounding really fast. A cold shiver ran down my spine. Suddenly it came clear to me that I had to get Elvis out of Las Vegas as fast as possible. But how was I supposed to do this and where should we go?

-to be continued-