Chapter 15: The Last Destination

I parked the car at the bottom of a grassy hill. There was just bright green grass at the top of the hill. I grabbed my duffle back and carried it up the hill while Mark kept asking if I wanted to let him carry it. Of course, I said no.

At the top of the hill, I opened the duffle bag and pulled out my picnic blanket. I layed it out flat on the grass. Then, I grabbed the food and layed it out. Mark smiled and sat down on one side of the blanket while I sat on the other.

"It'll be a little while before it shows up better." I shrugged.

"What will?"

"You'll see. Let's just eat for now and I can show you." I smiled. We ate some snacks as we waited.

"Did you do this a lot when you were younger?" Mark asked.

"Sort of. But, you're the first person that has come with me." I smiled at him.

"Well, I'll enjoy it while it lasts then."

I laughed. "You make it sound like the world is about to end. You can always do this, whenever you want."

"I think it would be lonely if I went by myself." Mark pouted slightly.

"Well you can always ask your girlfriend in the future. And if not then there's always other people, like friends and family. And, you can always ask me too." I looked up at the sky.

"I think I would always ask you first." Mark also looked up.

"Why me first?" I asked.

"Because you showed this to me. And, you don't take any of this for granted." Mark replied.

"Well, I'm glad then. That's very thoughtful of you." I smiled.

"Of course! I'm a gentleman!" Mark said proudly.

I laughed. "Yes you are, doctor."

"Shut up, nurse." Mark whispered, smirking.

"Okay, doctor." I turned my attention back on the sky. "Perfect." I grinned. "Mark?"

"Yeah?"

"Could you open the trunk? In the very back there's something I bought for school a long time ago for astronomy. If you bring it up here, I can set it up." I looked over and smiled.

Mark scurried up and basically ran to the trunk. He opened it and found the equipment. He carefully came back up the hill. I folded up the picnic blanket, everything still on it, and put it in the duffle bag.

I pulled the parts of the telescope out of their cases. I started to put everything together until a full, bronze telescope was on its stand. I motioned my hands towards it.

"Check it out. I think you'll like it." I smiled. Mark excitedly went over to the telescope and began to look at space.

"SPAAAAAAACE!!!" Mark screamed and flopped down on the grass after about 5 minutes.

"Yep. Space. If you lay down where I am, you can see something amazing. I remember you saying in a video that you wanted to go to a dessert and have radioactive pollution so the sky would like a certain way. I know you're not in the dessert but I still hope this is what you thought it would look like."

I moved over so Mark could lay down where I once was. "Wow...God, I love space." Mark smiled.

"How about we take a picture? That way we can remember." I asked, holding a camera I brought with me. Mark nodded. We were still laying down in the grass while I basically took a goofy selfie with Mark. Then I took a picture of the sky. Mark scooted a little closer to me for the picture, or so I thought. He scooted until our shoulders were touching. He intertwined his fingers with mine.

"Thank you. This is something I will never forget." He turned his head to look at me. I was blushing but I was thankful it was dark. But, I bet he could still see it.

"Good. I'm glad you like it. That makes me feel good inside." I smiled.

"You mean...right here?!" He started to tickle my stomach. I started squirming and laughing. Then, I rolled and bumped into him. Mark and I started rolling down the hill. When we stopped rolling, we were at the bottom of the hill, laughing.

I let out a sigh. "Have you ever had this much fun, Mark?"

He shook his head. "No. Not in a long time."

"Good. Do you feel better?" I asked him.

"So much better." He smiled softly. I got up and started to climb the hill so I could grab our stuff.

Then, I felt a hand gently clutch my wrist. I turned and my eyes met a pair of chocolate brown eyes that were behind a pair of glasses. Then he pulled me closer, one hand in my hair and the other around my waist. Then, his lips met mine.

I closed my eyes and wrapped my arms around his neck. Our lips moved in sync and warmth flowed through my body. My heart pounded in my chest so much, it kind of hurt. I felt like if I were to die, I would want this to be my last moment.

Then, his lips slowly pulled away from mine. He put his forehead against mine. I opened my eyes slowly and saw he did the same.

"Thank you. And...I'm sorry." Mark whispered and he started to walk off.

I stood shock. Then I thought about what happens in almost every romance movie,

Are you going to go get him or just stand there?

So, I bolted after him. I put my hand on his shoulder. He turned and looked at me with sad eyes. He looked down, ashamed. I gently grabbed his face in my hands and made him look at me.

I brought our lips together. Mark seemed taken back by my action but then he relaxed. He wrapped his arms around my waist and I wrapped mine around his neck. We parted and I opened my eyes to look at him.

"God, I wanted to do that all day." Mark grinned.

I blushed. "Me too."

Then Mark and I saw a shooting star go by in the sky. I smiled. "Make a wish."

Mark chuckled. "I don't need to. I have everything I need." He pulled me closer and his face was buried in my hair.

Is this another dream...? I thought.

"Another dream?" Mark asked.

"Oh. I said that aloud? Well, if you must know, when I left and we didn't talk over that period of time, I really missed you. So much, that I started to have dreams about you." I blushed.

"Well, I missed you too. And you don't have to dream anymore."

I giggled. "You're cheesy, you know that?"

"I guess I am." Mark whispered and chuckled.

"But, it's really sweet." I put my face in his shoulder.

"Kate?"

"Yes, Mark?" I replied.

"I love you." He said.

My breath hitched in my throat. But, I was really happy. "I love you too." Our grip on each other tightened. Then, we leaned our heads back. Mark kissed my forehead.

"We should probably head home." I smiled.

"Okay." Mark released his grip on me. I went back to our stuff and picked up everything after talking apart the telescope. I carried it back down to the car. I put it all in the trunk. I headed to the driver's seat ad Mark opened the door for me. I giggled. Then, he got in and I started driving.

I parked and went up to my apartment with Mark holding my hand. I unlocked the door and walked in. Mark walked in behind me so I close the door behind him. I sat down on the couch and patted the spot next to me.

Mark sat down next to me. He put his arm around my shoulders. He pulled me closer to him. I blushed a little. He smiled and then turned on the TV. I leaned my head into his shoulder.

I felt really sleepy. "I think I should go to bed."

"Okay. Go ahead and sleep." Mark whispered. So I did as he told me and I stretched out so I was lying down. I yawned and fell asleep to Mark running his fingers through my hair.