Chapter 2

Update! Thought I'd post this since I've hit a block with Russian Bastard. Enjoy!

Chapter 2

Gabriel

The phone rang from the other side of the room. Gabriel chose to ignore it, continuing to bench press the 150-pound barbell in his hands. When the phone kept going off, he grunted in annoyance and finished his last rep, dropping the barbell onto the bench handles with a loud clang before going over to answer.

"CHAOS has lost contact with an agent." Cassandra said in an unidentifiable tone.

"I'm retired, Cassandra." He said before grabbing a towel to wipe himself off. "CHAOS has more than enough capable agents and resources to find whoever it is. You better have a good reason for interrupting my morning."

"The situation has changed." She said, ignoring his previous statement. "We need you to retrieve her." She replied.

"Well," Gabriel began, throwing the towel away and gathering his belongings to leave the room. "It must be important if you yourself called. But why me?"

"Think of this as cashing in the favor you owe me from all those years ago, Gabriel." She said, grabbing his attention.

"Haven't I already paid that debt?" He asked in an expressionless tone.

"With this, the score is settled." She said in a firm voice. "Besides, you were the first agent. No one is better and more efficient than you, not to mention you understand the importance of being... discreet." She said in a cold and factual manner. "You must find her immediately. I've already sent Blake to deliver the packet, everything you need to know will be in the files."

"You will operate in a two-man cell with him to retrieve her." She continued on. "He should arrive in 20 minutes."

"Two-man?" Gabriel raised an eyebrow while walking up the stairs from the basement where his gym was. "Think I can't handle it on my own?"

"Blake is skilled with computers, the inner workings of the hive mind that is the internet." Cassandra explained. "He needs to extract information from your destination. You'll understand once he arrives with the packet."

And with that, he hung up the phone. She knew it wasn't to be rude, he just hated wasting time. No sense in exchanging niceties, especially with the nature of their line of work.

He walked quickly from the basement stairs and through the living room, briefly glancing at the lit fireplace, grey brick walls, tan couch, and frame-to-frame windows that covered the wall before ascending the stairs to the second floor and into his bedroom.

His bedroom kept the same theme as that of the living room, with walls not unlike the rest of the house, a king-sized bed, white carpet, and a small sitting area in front of a mounted flat screen to the side. A life of luxury, he mused as he went straight to the en suite bathroom. 6 months of retirement down the drain, he thought morosely before he stepped into the shower.

***

He groaned when he heard the bell ring. He chose to ignore it for as long as he could, enjoying the scalding hot water raining down on him from the shower overhead, steam clouding the glass partition and the rest of the room. When the ringing became more insistent, blaring every second, he breathed a sigh of annoyance before turning off the water and exiting the shower stall.

He grabbed a towel, wrapping it around his waist before going down the stairs and to the front door, not bothering to check who was on the other side before unlocking it and turning the knob, opening it to reveal none other than Blake Pierson.