“Ehmmm... I...”he breathed in and out “I... have always seen you around Salmah. And I... kinda like you. No, I mean I like you, yeah. I really do honestly." He paused and took a breath "I like your confidence, your approach to issues, your love for the deen, your free and crazy attitude, your sense ofhumour...” Zahrah sat up and placed her hands between their thighs. Is this what she thinks it is? She kept staring at him and slowly, her lips formed into a smile showing her dimples.

“I love your smile” she heard him say. Is this real? She looked away.

“And your name, Zahrah. Simple and unique, a definition of you” he paused “I’m not very eloquent, pardon me” Zahrah chuckled. Was Farhan really talking to her? Did he mean every single word he said? Or maybe she was daydreaming again.

“I want you Zahrah. I want you to be my better half, fi-dunya wal akhirah” he said more like a whisper looking into her eyes.

Zahrah was melting and his last sentence dissolved her totally. She had never in her entire life thoughtthat her weird imaginations will come to reality. Although, Abdullah was the guy in her daydreams, this was definitely better. She had always thought of herself as that dark skinned girl who guys didn’t even notice. When she sees brothers flock around Salmah, she often times prayed against she having any hard feelings towards her. It was difficult. She had felt dejected and depressed. She covered her sorrow up with her jovial and carefree attitude. She had been genuinely happy for Salmah. It is hard being friends with someone that pretty, especially when you don’t get advances from guys at all. She had lowkey thought she was going to end up on maybe a Muslim matchmaking site. So one of the most handsome and brilliant guys on campus had a thing for her? Farhan liked her?A lone tear ran down her cheek. She wiped it off quickly and cleared her throat.

“I will pray about it and send my response through Salmah. In Shaa Allah” she nodded and looked at him. More tears were threatening to come out. Farhan noticed and was taken aback

“DidI say anything to hurt you? I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to, Wallahi” he got worried.

“No no no. Not at all” she wiped the tears with her thumb “I have to be on my way to school” she sniffed and smiled at him.

They stood up and walked to the entrance. Salmah and Mubeen were at the car park waiting for them.Farhan turned to pick up 4 big bowls of ice cream when he saw that Zahrah was out of the lounge already. He paid and hurried to catch up with her outside. The four of them were standing in front of Salmah’s car.

“Okay, we should be on our way, it’s almost seven. We are still going back to school tonight” Salmah said opening the door to the passengers’ seat.

“It’s Maghrib already. Why not wait and say Maghrib before going?” Mubeen suggested.

Salmah was off salat. How will she tell him? She looked at Zahra for help. Zahrah and Farhan were in their own world stealing gazes at each other. She smiled and Mubeen followed her gaze to see what she was smiling at.

“I suggested we say our Maghrib salah at a nearby mosque before heading out” he spoke louder this time catching the attention of the duo.

“I’m not praying” Zahrah blurted out, back to her usual self.

“Yeah... we are not praying” Salmah said and sat in the car.

Zahrah placed her school bag on the seat beside Salmah and sat by the door, the bag as abarrier between them. Farhan extended the nylons containing the ice cream to her. She looked at him and he nodded, encouraging her to take them. She smiled and took it from him.

“Take care of yourself dear” he said and closed the door.

Zahrah smiled shyly and lowered her lashes. Salmah ordered the driver to start the car as they waved at the guys. In no time they were on the road to link up the third mainland bridge. There was no traffic and they were individually grateful. Both of them didn’t speak too much to each other through the ride. Each was reliving and reminiscing on the beautiful moments they had.

After over an hour, they entered the school gate. Each carried their belongings and headed for their separate hostels. They knew there was more than enough to discuss later, but for now, they want to savour the happiness of the moment.

“We’ll see tomorrow na, In shaa Allah.” Zahrah said and left.

After Salmah had cleaned up, she laid on her bed and was ready to sleep. She picked upher phone to check for updates on her whatsapp status and saw two new messages. One was from an unknown number and the other was from Farhan.

Farhan had thanked her and requested for Zahrah’s mobile number. She textedthe number to him and thanked him too. She opened the other message and it read:

Hope you are in school now? I forgot to inform you that I’ll be going back to England tomorrow. Stay safe and dream of me. Mubeen.

She blushed and turned to her right. For the first time ever that evening, they talked, his voice warmed her ears. He had even teased her with the British accent, saying he can speak it too now. After reciting the du’a, she did her usual rituals and allowed herself drown in his thoughts till she slept off.

The following morning after having her bath, she dressed up and arranged her utilities in her handbag. She took her phone and pressed the home button to see if it was fully charged and saw 17 missed calls. This is strange. She unlocked it and tapped on it. It was from her mom and Saalim. She was scared, very scared. She was about to dial Saalim’s number when his call came in. She picked it immediately.

“Egbon, kiloshele?! I saw your missed calls just now. My phone was on silent”

“Daddy had an accident on his way home this morning, it’s pretty bad”

“Subhanallah! How come? Subhanallah...” she kept shaking her head as the tears made its way down.

“He’s at the general hospital where he works.Mum hasn’t stopped crying since we got here. Please come quickly”

“Subhnallah... I’m on my way already” she sniffed.

She ordered for a cab via the bolt app and texted Farhan. She placed her head on the bed and recited all prayers that came to her head as her sobs got louder enough for passersby to hear. Her roommates had comforted her and asked her what the problem was but she couldn’t reply. The moment the cab arrived, she wiped her face and left for the hospital. She hoped this wasn’t as bad as it sounds.