Mateo gave one sharp nod. "Kiara was here with both of them, standing beside a car. I have no idea how she discovered it, but she came all the way here."

"And you let her in?"

"Yes. She walked towards me with no gun or anything and told me that she has something you desperately want. She just wanted me to call you and hear your answer while she watched. Fiorella and Marco stayed outside. She threatened with jeopardizing the thing you want if I didn't do as she said."

I swallowed hard. All eyes were on me. "Did she say what it is I want?"

Mateo looked around. "Yes. But... I'm not sure you want everyone to hear."

I blinked at him. Instead of calming me, every word from his mouth simply pushed me closer to the edge. "What do you mean?"

He walked closer to me, grabbing my wrist. I watched as Nicolas stepped closer to me. His way of warning me not to exclude him. Mateo looked between Nicolas and I anxiously. "Let's go out," I gestured outside. I looked to Nicolas, "stay here."

He seemed angered for a moment, but took a deep breath and shook his head at me. "Not a chance."

"Please."

"No," he insisted.

"I thought you trusted me," I accused.

His eyes narrowed defiantly at me. "I thought you trusted me."

"I do. Doesn't mean there aren't things I don't want you to hear."

"Yes, it does."

I gave him a warning look. "Don't do this, Nick. Don't push me."

Nicolas began walking backward, eyeing me angrily as he did. He pointed a finger at me, "you tell me after, Anastasia."

I didn't say anything, just walked out the room with Mateo. "What's wrong, Mateo? Why can't anyone hear?"

"I-I'm sorry," he began to stutter, fidgeting with his fingers nervously. "I don't want to... I don't want to be a bother. I just... Kiara told me... she said-- fuck."

I placed my hand on his shoulder, squeezing it softly. "You can't be a bother. You're my brother. Tell me what happened."

He inhaled deeply and looked away from my eyes. I thought I was having delusions when his eyes got teary. He opened his mouth, about to say something, but shook his head and shut his eyes hard, instead. I grabbed his hand and walked us to the bathrooms, locking the door. "These rooms are impenetrable. Signal doesn't not go in or out. No one can hear you here, Mat. Tell me what's wrong and I'll fix it."

He leaned into the sink and looked at me through the mirror, eyes red and glassy. "I'm not sure if you can."

"Then I'll support you when you do."

He shut his eyes and hung his head, hands in fists. I felt like crying while looking at his shaking body. "I definitely can't."

Growing more anxious and impatient, I put on a poker face and stared him down. "Tell me what happened, Mateo."

Mateo opened the faucet and splashed water on his face and hair. He nodded at me and exhaled. "I've never told anyone this. No one knew it except... except Michael. Not even Gabriel or Nicolas know. Much less Lorenzo."

"Okay," I said slowly. "I'm guessing this is very important to you."

He nodded at me, running a hand through his hair. "Remember what I told you about my backstory? How I came to be recruited by Michael?"

"Yeah," I said, remembering. "Your dad beat you up. Why? Does it have to do with your dad? Does she have your father?"

"No," he shook is head. "If it was my dad, she could have the bastard for all I care. It's... it's my sister."