ii. does rylee have a gun permit? apparently it's a relevant question

Rylee was pretty sure that, what with Arizona being land-locked and all, hurricanes weren't something to worry about

Rylee was pretty sure that, what with Arizona being land-locked and all, hurricanes weren't something to worry about. Nevertheless, she was very worried, as that's what the storm seemed to be turning into.

Funnel clouds snaked menacingly toward the skywalk, chasing after screaming students with a fervor that almost seemed sentient. She and Jason tried their best to make a run for the museum, but the wind pushed at them so hard they skid backward, toward the railing, Hedge not far behind. Leo, who had been standing against the railing, had no room to skid backward. He would have toppled into the canyon if Jason hadn't grabbed him by his jacket.

"Thanks man!" Leo gave a thumbs up.

"Go, go, go!" Coach Hedge admonished.

Piper and Dylan were holding onto the doors, shepherding the other kids inside. Piper's snowboarding jacket was flapping wildly in the wind, but she kept a fearlessly straight face. Rylee couldn't help but admire it.

Leo, Rylee, Jason, and Hedge tried making their way toward the two, but it was like they were running on a treadmill. The wind pushed at them so strongly that they couldn't make any progress. Dylan and Piper pushed the last kid inside, losing their grip on the doors. They slammed shut, locking the six of them out in the storm. Piper continued to tug at the handles, desperately attempting to get away. The rest of the class banged on the glass, but it was like the doors had been glued shut.

"Dyan, help!" Piper shouted.

The boy stood there like he had been all day, hair rippling in the wind, pure-white smile plastered on his face. It was almost like he was enjoying the storm. "Sorry, Piper," he said, not sounding very sorry at all. "I'm done helping."

He flicked his wrist and Piper flew back, slamming with a resounding bang! into the doors and sliding bonelessly onto the skywalk. Jason tried to run at him, Rylee not far behind. The idea of running after Jason into a fight seemed as natural as breathing which, had she more time to think about it, would've been a little terrifying.

As it was, neither of them got to do much fighting, as Coach Hedge held out an arm to stop them. "Stay behind me, you three," he ordered. "This is my fight. Should'a known he was the monster."