Chapter 16

3 Months Later

Harry's POV

I got a strange pience of mail from Scotland Yard, saying I was to go there as soon as I got their letter.

"Hey, I'm going downtown," I told Zayn, who was frying bacon. He liked to eat a lot of bacon, so he usually had to make it himself.

"K," he said, focusing on his bacon.

When I got to Scotland Yard, a detective verified my information, then took me down several long corridors.

"What's your name?" I asked, attempting to make conversation.

"Smith. John Smith," the Scot told me. He led me to a lab, directing me to a stool in front of a microscope.

"I want you to look at these two slides side-by-side," he said.

I did as he said and noticed that a particular gene that was contrasted in one slide was the exact same in the other slide. I looked up at the detective, and he pulled out a picture from a file he had.

"Do you know this young lady?" Mr. Smith asked. The picture bore a shocking resemblance to Phoenix.

"Yeah, her name's Phoenix, and she's like a sister to me," I answered.

"Not just like a sister. She IS your sister," he corrected me. The news hit me like a bomb exploding. Phoenix was my sister?

"How is this possible?" I asked incredulously.

Detective Smith directed my attention to a video screen, pressing play on the remote.

"Harry, if you're seeing this, just know that I never meant to hurt anyone. Before you were born, I married the man that was Phoenix's father. Our first child was a little boy, Kris. What I never knew about him before our marriage was that he was a jerk. One night, he took advantage of me while he was drunk. Nine months later, you came into the world, and I sent you off to my side of the family. Later on, we had two more girls, Phoenix and Kamron.

Kris is now dead. He was sent to the front lines and died in combat. The drunkard of a father that you had is also dead, from alcohol poisoning. That leaves you, Phoenix, and Kamron. Since I'm unable to provide for the rest of the family, I've left the country with a new name and a new identity. Nothing from my past belongs to me. Kamron lives with my sister, and she won't leave. Harry, it's up to you to take care of Phoenix. She's fragile."

The video shut off and I began to process the information. Phoenix's my sister? I have to take care of her? She and Niall weren't that far along in their relationship. What was I to do? How was I supposed to tell her?

"Thank you," I said woodenly, leaving the room. I felt numb inside. This was all too much at once. I needed to go home.

Somehow I made it home alive. Not sure how, but I did.

Louis was sitting at the island, eating carrots, with Niall sitting next to him, eating Oreos. They took one look at my face and knew immediately that something was wrong.

"Trampoline," one of them said, pointing to the back garden.

I went outside, and instead of jumping on the trampoline, which was what it was there for, I sat on it, thinking, pondering, getting lost in my own thoughts. Eventually I fell asleep, and when I woke up, it was pouring rain on me. I looked around me, looked up at the sky, and curled up on the trampoline again.

****

The Next Day

"Hey, I need you all in the living room now!" I yelled for all to hear, pacing the cloor as they all came down one by one.

"Yesterday, I received a letter from Scotland Yard, saying I was to go see them when I received their letter. I was shown two slides next to each other under a microscope, and one gene was the same. Then, the detective showed me a picture of someone I know, and that person is my sibling. I was then shown a video that my mum had made. To keep it short, my mum married a guy. Their first-born was a boy, who died in combat in Afghanistan. Mum was then raped by the man, and I was the product. I lived with her side of the family. They had two more, girls, and one currently lives with my aunt. Dad died of alcohol poisoning, and Mum left the country to start a new life without her past. That means I have a younger sister to take care of. As much as I hate my father for what he did to Mum, I'm thankful that I have a younger sister who can call me her older brother. Phoenix, I love you to the moon and back."

Since I was pacing, I could hear her sniffling on the couch in front of me. I took a seat next to her and pulled her head to my chest, letting her cry.

Niall got up and went into the kitchen, looking for something. I could hear him muttering to himself as he rummaged through the cabinets. He must've remembered where it was, because he ran upstairs. Soon he cam back with a carton of something. He went back into the kitchen to get a plate.

"Phoenix, I was going to give you this later, but you need it now," he said, taking her into his arms and onto his lap as he sat on a bar stool. He began to feed her the Oreos one by one. She slowly began nibbling them, occasionally taking sips from a glass of milk, eventually eating the whole package. She fell asleep soon after that, so Niall carried her to her room, tucking her into bed. The rest of us just collapsed on the couches in exhaustion.

****

Author's Note

Sorry for the wait, my Hopefuls. I have had a lack of motivation to copy this chapter and then I had lack of motivation typing it up for you guys. I just feel so drained right now. I will keep working on this story, though. It just is getting hard to keep up the motivation.

I'm not cutting the story short.

Vote, Read, Comment, Share, Etc.

Love you Hopefuls!

Lizzy-Luci :)