My Midnight FairyTale

@@@@@-----Riley

I can't believe that I'm going to the Summer Ball. Lexi done an amazing job at choosing a dress, she even bought me shoes and jewelry, to match. I gotta say, I'm excited and can't wait to see the look on Zack's face. The only thing to do now is find a way out of the hospital without being seen. Lexi said that she'd come over the day before to give me the details about how we're going to get out.

Dr. Workman came in with a pate of food, smiling ear to ear. She's always smiling, with her pale skin shinning in the light. When I met her she had the same glow; showing how she cared for someone whom she'd never met..

"I've brought you a snack. It's peanut butter cookies, cheesecake, and a bowl of pineapple. I heard they were your favorite?" Dr. Workman placed them on my stand, "I've got a letter for you too, it's from the PWC, they want you to do a speech, which if you don't feel comfortable.. then you don't have to do it."

She handed me the letter. I opened it and started to read aloud..

"Dear Riley Payton,

We the People Who Care, (PWC) have heard the horrid news about your state of heath. Which we may add, that we are deeply sorry for you.  

Understanding, that there are others with your condition; we'd like you, with also others, to write a speech and read it among people who is like you. As you may know, you're the youngest out of this town, who has also lived the longest with acute leukemia. We'd be honored if you'd write a speech about, how hard it was for you to know that you had this horrid illness. Reading it at the Riverside Stadium, On this coming Sunday, at 12a.m.

P's. Please dress in formal wear. This is a big event in which we'd all be dressing up. Hope we'll see you there.

Thank you,

                    The People Who Care, (PWC)"

I layed the letter down looking up at Dr. Workman. She smiled, setting at the end of my bed. "They also sent me a letter, to do the opening speech, telling how leukemia happens.. I'm going to do it, but if you don't, then you can just come.. and listen?" Her voice soft.

I smiled and shook my head. "No.. I want to speak., I think it'll be good." This will be something, that won't only help others, but also help me.. I need to talk about it.

"Good." Dr. Workman stood up and smiled. "Well, better get to work. We only have three days until the speech, I can't wait to hear what you have to say. Good luck." As she walked out.

Three days. Thats the day right after the ball. This weekend.. is going to fun.

%%%%%%%-------Zack

"You need to go and just talk to her."

"She lied Connor. Why are you talking to her? She lied to you too." Cassy heaved out a breath. I know she misses Riley, and I know Riley misses her.

"Because I love her Cass, and so do you. And she lied, to not hurt us, she didn't want us to worry.."

"Well, how'd that work out?" She shot me a depressing stare. "Maybe.. we shouldn't., you know.. talk to her.. so.. we won't hurt ourselves, we know she's going to die- maybe if we stop talking to her we won't cry when she does-"

"Cassy!" I droped what I was doing. Why was she being like this? "Don't ever say that again! Don't even think of it! What do you think will happen when she's gone? Then, you'll only be worse, wishing that you'd say something to her. Don't do this to her, nor yourself. Riley needs you, more than you need her."