Chapter 40

An update as promised!

I week later

XL: Jungkook

Don't worry.

That was the message that Taehyung had sent through Hoseok.

He should have known better. I've done nothing but worry for the past week, and trying to take my mind off him by helping Jimin with tasks isn't helping.

The only bit of good news I had gotten was Hoseok and Lisa's arrival. Everyone from Armad had come here, though Jin and Namjoon were making plans to move to their home in the Sirius clan soon. Clinging onto Jimin's advice, I had asked Hoseok and Lisa about the monster. But my hopes were dashed by their answer.

"Truthfully, we don't have much to offer," Lisa had said apologetically. "Taehyung never told us much. We were there to witness how he revived after the dark times, but the monster itself... well, that's a mystery even to us. I'm sorry we can't help you much."

It became clear that many of the vampires still didn't understand what was going on. When I had asked Hoseok and Lisa if they were going to tell them, both shook their heads. "Until things get too out of hand, we won't be the ones to break the news. That's Taehyung's task alone. He'll decide when he's comfortable enough to say it."

In which case, my every waking minute is spent worrying over Taehyung, and visiting the door every chance I get. Even though I never enter, just being close to it seems to rejuvenate some of the bond. Taehyung was right: it does make me feel a bit better, but it's nothing compared to how I felt when I was actually with him. The thought just makes my heart hurt more, so I try to ignore it as best as I can.

Today, I sit on a bench at the edge of a pond, watching the minnows dart in and out of sight. Their scales shine silver in the sun, catching the light and sending glimmers of sparkle across the surface of the water. Everything in this place is beautiful, but this pool holds a special place in my heart.

Suddenly, I feel a movement to my right, and a wet, little nose sniffs my hand. I turn, only to see a bunny cautiously nuzzling my palm. It must have scooted onto the stone bench when I wasn't looking.

"Hey there," I slowly reach a hand out to pet it, smiling when the bunny's ear twitches. "I'm sorry I don't have any carrots. I'll bring some next time, if you like." Wild animals are common in the meadows, especially bunnies and other small mammals. I see them daily, scuffling around in the tall stalks of grass. But none had ever come this close. Perhaps they had finally gotten used to me.

The bunny sniffs my hand one last time, before lying down on the bench, seemingly having lost interest. I stare at it for a while, watching as it sunbathes, eyes closed in what I think to be bliss. I wish I could feel as untroubled as the bunny beside me, with my only concern being to look for food. Sighing, I turn my attention back to the lake. But my vision seems to freeze as I gape in horror at the sight before me.

The lake is pure blood. The red substance splashes against the shores, staining the flowers on the bank a deep crimson. Something has transformed a simple lake into a pool of death. And that's not even the worst of it. I see images reflected in its bloody waters: people dying, cut down by the relentless flames. Whole buildings collapsing into rubble. Darkness devouring everything.

And above it all, a winged figure flies through the skies, daring and bold. The sadistic smile adorning his face reveals sharp fangs already dripping with blood. With a start, I realize that it's Taehyung I'm seeing. His black hair is ruffled from the wind, and a silver mask covers everything on his face except from his lips down. He has a malicious air around him that he never radiated before, and he stares at the ongoing destruction with chilling joy.