Chapter 31

Enjoy!💜 Also, is anyone else here a fan of Ariana?

XXXI: Jungkook

Voices rise and fall around me, gentle and worried.

I want so badly to open my eyes and tell them I'll be fine, but my voice fails me. I can't move. I can't think. I'm in too much pain to do anything else rather than let my body go limp. A cool hand coaxes my mouth open and pours liquid down my throat. For a few minutes, my pain dulls. But it's still there, prowling at the gates of my mind, waiting to be let in. And when it does, it's even sharper than before, making me cry out.

"Ssh," A gentle hand caresses my forehead and I whimper. I know this voice. It's the voice that's stayed with me constantly throughout all this pain. Urging me on when I need strength and saying such sweet words that curl around me with the warmth of a mother's arms. "Just rest, my love. The pain will be over soon." Over? How can he say it with such confidence? And rest? I want to laugh if the simple action didn't hurt so much. The pain never rests, never takes a break. And I'm forced to suffer along with it.

The hand leaves my forehead, and I make a noise of protest. I turn my head to the side, biting back a gasp as fiery pain lashes through my body. Instead, the hand clasps over mine, and I feel a pair of soft lips brush my palm.

"You're so strong Jungkook," the voice murmurs. "So brave. You'll survive this. Don't give in to the pain."

"It hurts," I gasp out without opening my eyes. "Everything hurts. I-I can't anymore..."

"You can do it," The voice soothes. "I'll be by your side the whole time. You won't be alone. You'll never be alone. Just keep listening to my voice. Fight the darkness, my love. I know you can do it."

My love. Two words that makes my heart flutter in the midst of pain. I love hearing it, knowing that someone is looking at me with love in their eyes. Perhaps even now, while I was battling this burning pain in my body. I must look like a mess, with sweaty hair, and clothes that stick to my skin. Yet this person still loved me. He still ran a gentle hand through my hair and whispered caring words into my ear. In that moment, I feel a burst of happiness envelop me, making me forget about the pain for a split second.

"Taehyung," Another voice cuts through my sleep, this one a bit anxious. "You've been sitting there the whole day. I know how you feel, but take a rest. I'll take over in the meantime."

I feel the hand holding mine tighten, and the voice changes, becoming deeper, and somewhat darker. "I'm not moving, Jin. You heard me. I'm going to stay by his side. I don't care how long it takes. He will recover."

"Of course," The man Jin says, though I hear a hint of doubt in his words. "But it won't help anyone if you collapse from exhaustion after Jungkook recovers. Come on Tae, at least eat something."

"Go," I rasp, "I'll be fine. You should do as he says."

"Baby, no―"

"Go." The last thing I want right now is for someone else to become sick just because they cared for me. "Please. For me."

I can tell that he doesn't like it, but I hear the fabric of his tunic rustle as he stands, and a moment later, his lips find my cheek. Even through my fever, I feel the warmth of it spread through my body. "I'll be back as soon as I can." He says, and despite myself, I smile. I hear his footsteps slowly walk towards the door, and the small click of the handle as it unlocked. I also hear Jin say something quietly to Taehyung before the door closes, but I don't waste my time trying to figure it out. Thinking just hurts my brain more than it already does. A tired, long sigh from Jin fills the room, and footsteps walk over to my bedside.