July 4th, 1912

'Dear journal.

It's the 4th of July. The animals will suffer since the fireworks in town might startle them. I enjoy watching the bright colors in the sky, although it pains me to see the frightened animals. Levi will have to stay indoors. Today, despite not speaking for more than a week, I'll ask Marion to go see them with me. There's a great spot up on the hill, East from the farm, we could see them from there.'

The 4th of July. Charles never celebrated the holiday, but he liked to watch how the colours painted the evening sky.

Careful not to be seen, he hid the journal inside the hay and climbed down the ladder, where Marion waited without his knowledge.

"Marion!" he yelped, startled by the sudden appearance.

"Come, lunch is ready."

Still, despite coming to get him, she acted cold and distant for reasons unknown to the poor farmer, yet he didn't bother asking about it. Not now, at least.

Like a puppy, he followed her to the back, where a massive wooden table stood, perfect for outdoor meals.
Simple food along with two plates and cups sat there, waiting for the pair to start eating.

The two ate in silence, interested in their food, but a glance or two always escaped when one wasn't looking.

"So," Charles started, "it's the 4th of July."

Marion looked confused at the statement but still nodded politely.

"I know that," she replied before returning to her food, letting the confusing man word his thoughts.

It was harder than expected, asking someone to do something that was in a way romantic, although he just wanted to see the fireworks like every year.

"There's something I wanted to ask you," he continued, earning another questioning look. "The town celebrates every year and they have these colourful fireworks and all, so I wanted to know if you'd like to go see them?"

A shaky sigh escaped him as the breath forced its way out, while Marion seemed delighted by the idea of visiting the civilization after so long.

"Really? Oh, I'd love to see the town!" she squealed, but that wasn't what Charles had in mind.

A lone, silent place where only the light of the moon and the stars shine was what he imagined, not a town of drunkards and idiots.

Of course, he succumbed to Marion's wish and they were to go to town and enjoy the fireworks from up close.

Charles worked quietly on the horses' saddles while waiting for the woman to dress up and prepare herself for this miraculous night when all of a sudden a yell caught his attention.

"Charles!"

Immediately, he rushed inside, not caring if the horses ran away or the farm set on fire, he had to get to Marion.
However, when he got to the bedroom, he was met by a sight.

There, in the middle of the room, stood Marion, the layered light dress made from old fabrics looked beautiful on her, enough to stun the stone-cold man.

"Could you help me?" she nodded towards the buttons in the back and the man was quick to jump to her aid.

The small buttons were no match to his skilled hands, it was a challenge to avoid touching the woman that made him nervous. But even if he touched her, she didn't flinch, rather leaned into his hands.
"Thank you," she whispered and spun around in the flowy dress, provoking the man more.

"I'll... wait. Outside."

And he left in a hurry, unsure how to react to the ravishing girl before him.