Sub-Chapter 19: Interpretive Knowledge

I was stunned to see such a young man. How could he be an Apostle when he looked to be around my dad's age?

"This guy looks like he's 30 years old, how can he be the guy who wrote revelations?" I replied still reeling.

"He's an immortal," Uriah answered quickly.

"What do you mean he's an immortal, how?" I replied still not understanding.

"If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me. Because of this the rumor spread among the believers that this disciple would not die; John 21:22-25," Uriah replied quickly.

As he did there was commotion in the background as we continued to sputter trying to grasp the situation.

"What's going on over there?" I replied.

"Apparently they're having to beef up the security on our BAU feed because the media over here is going crazy. John has been underground for thousands of years. It's a huge story here," Uriah responded. "All the apostles and most of the hierarchy in the bible are higher Heaven citizens so it's extremely rare to come across one. John was the last of the Apostles."

Really, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Was this guy really that big of a deal? Isaiah and his crew surrounded him. To him and his crew he was just a weirdo meeting them in an alley.

"So you're the guy we've been climbing over ourselves to find?" Adrian added.

John gave him a look that seemed to tense him up.

"I have suffered kings and queens and rulers of every ilk, so I have little to no patience for skepticism. I simply offer you refuge but this is just that, an offer, nothing else. I am not here to romanticize or entice you into following my words or accepting my offer. It is here, take it or leave it," John responded coldly.

Man, this guy was all business. Isaiah and the rest of the group were taken back by his words. Corrina shoved Adrian hard and gave him an accusing stare before replying.

"Sorry, you'll have to excuse Adrian he's a bit of an idiot," She apologized. "We just want to get out of here, he didn't mean anything by his words. We're tired and hungry and we just want to get somewhere safe."

"Fine. Just wait here a second," John replied walking in our direction.

I turned to Sam who was giving me the same look in return. It was a look that fell between confused and nervous. What was this guy's aim? We couldn't understand why he was walking toward us. Could he see us?

"Isaiah come with me. The rest of you can wait here," he ordered.

Isaiah nodded looking back at the rest of the crew surprised. They all looked nervous then turned nodding almost as if to be not wanting to provoke him again. I pulled my staff from its holster as Sam gave me a look begging me to stop.

"What? You're going to fight an Apostle?" Sam replied looking at me like I had lost my mind.

"I don't know if I have to," I replied. "We don't know this guy from a can of paint."

"Tim, don't do anything impulsive," Uriah intervened. "But I understand your motives, stay on your guard, but be discreet. You have no idea what this guy might be capable of, I mean, he did know Jesus Emanuel and was taught the Light Art by Jesus Emanuel himself. But that was a long time ago. He's been underground for millenniums."

I stood waiting for a door to open but I was surprised to see John walk through the wall as if it was a mirage. I looked at Sam who was as surprised as I was. How could he do that?