Sub Chapter 8: Float Like a Butterfly Sting Like A...Bomb?

I moved to a far wall and motioned for the rest of the squad to follow. We had been walking for minutes through rows of empty cell blocks before we finally approached a door.

“Why do they have so many cells that are empty?” Sam asked inspecting one of the empty cells.

“Well it makes sense,” Pete added. “This is a re-inaction, in the actual attack there must have been more captives so if we just…”

Pete typed a couple buttons on his watch and soon after fuzzy holograms appeared in each cell. It was hard to make them out at first but as time passed it became more and more obvious what was going on. The holograms were replicas of the captives.

“Oh, okay,” I replied realizing what he was doing. “You turned on the cinematic effect.”

“Just for a second,” he responded.

I looked at the replicas. If they were real replications of the captives, it was brutal. They looked like they hadn’t eaten in weeks. Much like the girl from our cell it was hard to watch them. They looked so downtrodden and weak.

“This is so…,” Sam responded angrily clinching his fist in a disgusted manor. “My only regret is I won’t get to kick these thing’s butts for real.”

“Yeah, I hate these guys,” Jadon seconded. “How could anybody do this to another creation of God?”

He stared at the cell door with a fuming glare.

“These are Hannochs, they’re brutes,” Aurielle added. “Think of a civilization of the most blood thirsty souls you can think of. They have the lowest percentage of saved souls of any realm in the universe, their practically walking abominations.”

Her words caught me off guard.

“Man and I thought Earth was bad,” I replied as the holographs started to fade.

“Are you kidding me?” Aurielle replied. “I know you guys get a bad rap in this realm but most of it is based in jealousy. You guys overcome remarkable circumstances just to be here. You guys have ability that is hard to duplicate because of the strong faith you accumulate through the struggles you endure in your home world. Earth was the only perfect utopia ever created, the first of its kind, and you were the first of your kind. Although it is no longer the utopia it once was, it is far from bad. What Lucifer and the fallen did to the Earth Realm was the ravings of a petulant child, which turned into a temper tantrum, which led to the downfall of two of Gods greatest creations. The Watchers came along after that and it was bedlam in the Earth Realm. Put up against those types of odds, God grew empathy for his creation, for you and he gave you repentance and salvation through his highest ranking son Emanuel or Jesus as you may know him. He tried to rebuild through his chosen people but they couldn’t compete with the plague all around them, so in an effort to fill you guys with his spirit, the only thing that would allow you guys to combat the constant attack your souls were under, was God himself so he sent his Son, so that through him he could always protect you, but there had to be sacrifice, a willing sacrifice and Emanuel was that sacrifice that gave you the ability to do what you do, it’s the holy spirit that separates men from the rest of God’s creation. You guys have a distinct peace of God within you that is as rare as gold is in your realm, and it can only be obtained through the blood of the savior and repentance of sin.”

Her words resonated with me as I could tell it did with everyone else.

“How do you know so much about us?” Eve asked curiously.

“Her mother’s a historian,” Jadon responded. “It’s one of the reasons we recruited her for our legion, and like her mother, Aurielle here, has an affinity for it.”