Sub-Chapter 20: One Relationship Like The Other

I headed out to the center of the arena as soon as Jade signaled it was okay. The crowd was deafening once I cleared the barrier. I shot to Jo's side immediately.

"Alright, you guys," I shot taking Zech's limping body from Jo. "Good Job."

"Yeah, we both did good, huh, Zech?" Jo asked as cautiously released his brother.

"Yeah, we did well, Jo," Zech shot. "But I think..."

Zech double over breathing hard. Jo and I dropped down next to him. Before I could blink we were standing inside the barrier.

"What was that?" I replied spinning around.

The entire legion was there. Jade kneeled healing Zech with his power as survey the layout. Everyone seemed as surprised as I was.

"It was me," Pete replied. "No need in wasting time we didn't have."

"I guess," Eve shot. "Put couldn't you have given us a heads up?"

Pete shook his head no as he stared down at Zech concerned.

"No, we needed all the time we could to prep our strategy for their final three contenders," Pete responded. "I didn't have the time to coordinate everyone. With Jacob's help I stop time and it didn't take long to corrale everyone."

"Zech, are okay?" Jo asked kneeling.

"Yes, I'm fine," Zech replied pushing him away.

Jo stared at him surprised by his actions.

"What? What did I do?" Jo responded.

"I don't know," Zech shot. "After what happened? I know you were being controlled by Kel but the things you said and even before that with Ruth and Yuni. I just think that some time apart will be good for us."

Jo looked surprised blown away by Zech's word.

"But Zech," Jo shot.

"Zech, I'm sure your brother didn't mean it in that way," Danielle added kneeling down to co-sign for Jo. "It was just the stress of the battle. There isn't enough time for things to come out how you want. And trust me, I know, sometimes emotions can make you say things you really don't mean."

As she spoke she stared across the arena subconsciously signaling the example of her words. I tried to get an idea of what she was going through, with the twins out of the way she was more than likely the next on deck which means the fight with her demons was on deck. It had to be heavy on her mind. I blocked it out dealing with the conflict at hand.

"Yeah, Zech, it was just emotion," Sam seconded.

"Yeah, I promise, I didn't mean it," Jo spouted in a begging manner. "It was that stupid Kel! He made me say that stuff!"

"Jo, I'm not saying he didn't," Zech added. "But you always do that. You're my brother. You really think I didn't know how you felt about me? It wasn't your actions that scared me. It was mine. I always needed to be smarter so I could protect you, so we could protect each other."

"You don't have to protect me, you see," Jo added. "I protected you."

"You did, Jo, and I'm proud of you but you shouldn't have had to," Zech added. "What did mom say before she left for her mission on Hyermon?"

"Always look out for each other," Jo responded. "And we have...look what we did today."

"No, Jo that's not all. She's said we need to help each other get stronger," Zech replied grimacing as Jade finished. "And it wasn't what we did. It's what you did? I was just in the way. What you did today open my eyes. I'm what's holding you back. I'm always there over your shoulder trying to protect you. Maybe, that's why I couldn't notice what you could do on your own. And worst of all, I was always so fixated on your attitude that I didn't notice all this time maybe it wasn't just resentment growing in you, it was growing in me as well. I know you'll do better with someone else. Maybe someone who trusts you like, Sam. As for us we just don't make a good team or at least we don't know yet. Maybe we will once I learn to not see you in the same protective light, it just now, I need some time."

Jo stood emotionless as Zech fought to his feet.

"Just for a little while, Jo. We're around each other too much and it's preventing me from seeing you get better," Zech shot. "I'm going to the Med to get myself patched up, just stay here."

Jo breathed in hard trying hard to hide his emotion but he didn't say anything. He stared at Jo as he limped toward the portal hole. We all stood not knowing what to say. Zech and Jo not together. It was a hard to imagine. Jo visually started to tear up.

"Jo, are you okay?" Sai replied walking toward him.

"NO!" he screamed.

BOOOM! He threw a hard wind gust destroying a wall as he stormed off.

"Jo," Sam replied chasing after him. "I'll be back you guys."

We all nodded as he shot off.

"That's tough," Luke added.

"They're children," Max continued. "Children are resilient. We just need to give them a little help, but we can sort it all out later. Right now we need to focus on finishing this duel. It's only a matter of time before this injury intermission is over."

"I agree," Pete cut in catching everyone's attention.

"So, what are we going to do?" Sai pushed.

"Uriah?" Pete replied turning.

He nodded signaling for everyone to gather around.

"Now, right now we have the advantage but it slight. Let's be real the twins eliminated three, which is more than we could have asked for, but they were their three weakest guys and we're down one Dom. They have two and a Virt who is as skilled as anyone on our team. Trust me the last three will not be eliminated as quickly as the first three. Now we have our two Doms, me and Dani," Uriah added. "So, my guess is they're going to conserve their two Doms and send out Abby. We'd be better served doing the same but it's just an assumption, my guess is we'd be just as..."

"I'll go," Danielle broke in.

"Are you sure?" Pete pressed.

She stared out at the arena answering Pete's statement with a glance. Abby stood in the middle of the arena as the proctor signaled the resuming of the duel. The tension was so thick I could actually feel Danielle's energy fluctuating. It was eerie. It wasn't anger or nervousness. It was a stern determination as she prepped herself.

"Yes, I'm sure," she replied. "I made a promise."

"Wait, you're not about to throw the fight because of that thing with that Abby girl, are you?" Luke shot.

Sean chuckled shaking his head.

"What?" Luke asked turning to him.

"It's the exact opposite," I added.

Danielle stared sternly at the arena as she tied her hair into a ponytail. She took a deep breath calming herself as she walked out of the barrier.

"What do you mean, "it's the exact opposite," Tim?" Luke poked.

"It was weird but I was there when she and the girl met in the hallway," I explained. "The promise wasn't to take it easy on her...it was a promise to give her the fight of her life."

********

I know this is short I'm just finishing the chapter off I will be posting the next Chapter in a day or two so you know. Please COMMENT. I love to read the comments so if you read PLEASE COMMENT to help support and motivate me. COMMENT AND VOTE PLEASE. It's like a workshop for me. I like to know what my readers think. DO BOTH NOT ONE OR THE OTHER, PLEASE! Thank You.