Sub-Chapter 8: The Ghost of Family Secrets

Sai doubled over catching all our attention.

“Sai,” I replied rushing to her side.

What was going on? I thought for sure that the effects of the simulation would wear off once the simulation was done but Sai’s injuries looked exactly the same. It was finally starting to hit me. It wasn’t a simulation at all. It was a portal door to some alternate reality.

“I’ll be fine,” she replied blood starting to spill from her mouth. “...once my powers kicks in…unfortunately they won’t do me much good because unlike Sam, I don’t regenerate.”

“Sarai,” I heard a voice ring out.

I turned to see Luke sprinting around the corner with panic written all over his face.  Jacob, Uriah, and Danielle were right behind him.

“Luke,” she replied slipping into unconsciousness.

Her body lay up against a nearby wall. Her head swayed from left to right as if she was physically fighting to stay conscious. I removed my jacket and covered her body in a remedial effort to stop the bleeding.

“Sai, I’m so sorry,” I replied leaning forward wiping the blood from her mouth with a cloth I had in my pocket.

“Tim, not now, don’t start that…you have nothing to be sorry about,” she replied looking me in the eye. “Do you trust me?”

“Of course,” I replied taken back.

“Then…please, I put it on the line out there. It…It was my decision. Don’t…I did it for my legion and my allies…don’t…Tim, please don’t be mad at yourself because I made that decision,” she muttered struggling to get every word out that she could. “It’s a condemnation of what I did for my legionmates.”

As she finished her sentence she fell into an unconscious state. I clinched her hand acknowledging her wish with a nod of my head. I pulled a strand of her hair out her face without thinking.

“I gotcha, little sis,” Luke replied dropping to her side.

Jacob flash-stepped in front him blocking his access to her body.

“Don’t move her,” he ordered. “The Paramedics are on their way.”

Just as he spoke a group of androids dressed in hotel staff uniforms with medical badges on them came rushing around the corner. I slowly moved out of the way as they assisted her. They covered her with a white light that lasted a couple of seconds then disappeared. When it vanished Sai was gone along with it.

“Where did she go?” Pete asked with a concerned demeanor.

“We transported her to Eden Hotel’s Med Unit,” the android replied.

He mashed buttons on a pad he had as he spoke. I looked down at the blood on my shirt. I clinched it and ripped it off jerking in anguish.

“So, will she be alright?” Eve asked.

The man stared peripherally at her as if to be inspecting who she was for the first time before responding.

“If she had her Heaven Realm body she would be fine in a couple of hours but seeing as she still has her Earthborn body it’ll take a couple of days before she is even conscious. She’s a Dom so her body will adapt and evolve quickly but for the time being we don’t know when she’ll come around,” he replied with an emotionless demeanor.

I stared at him thrown both by his demeanor and his response. How could they put such a dangerous ride in a celebration the night before the competition? It was insane.