lost chance

When Travis had met her, he was greeted with a series of profanities and dirt. Her charm had instantly caught his 11-year-old self off guard. It sufficed to say that he had developed a small crush on her in a small amount of time.

His pranks, that were his one true love, were replaced by the brunette who had no idea about it. Daily he would go and prank her cabin just to hear her annoying but lovely voice.

Years had passed by, both were around 16 but the pranks didn't seize. It had become a daily ritual for both of them and their cabins to encounter/plan a prank every single morning. Travis didn't prank her for the same reasons though. Their constant bickering had paved a way towards great friendship, and all the threats and pranks were supposed to be lighthearted jokes. But Travis the feelings still had a place in his heart. Even though being a friend was the closest he could come to her, it was enough. And he liked - no loved it.

When her first boyfriend had broke her apart he was there to pick up the pieces and support her. She knew she could rely on him forever. Travis had felt so angry, never like before. And as proof the guy had a crooked nose ever since. 

She never once knew about his feelings, maybe that's why she was caught off-guard when Travis once asked her out. Minutes had passed by and she didn't say anything. Travis knew he had made it awkward, and it was his duty to fill that silence. So he simply said, "It was a joke." 

 But it wasn't. He had never felt so heartbroken since that day. Every time that day came into his mind, his body would go numb and he would stop thinking. Though, he always covered up with a smile or chuckle whenever she brought that up. 

To her it was the most horrendous prank, to him it was everything. 

Though he never said that and welcomed the reaction willingly. 

After that too, Travis was always there to support her through whatever she was going. Whether a bad grade or a bad break-up. He always stayed behind. 

When James had become her boyfriend, Travis was jealous. He could see clearly that she loved him with every fibre of her body, something he would never get to feel. 

He knew James was the one for her when their proposal had been made public. Travis had never shed so many tears. He spent his time sleeping with different chicks - demigods or not. But none could fulfil the empty ache Travis carried. 

When she asked him to be present on her wedding day and be his soon to be husband's best man, Travis had almost lost his hope to live. He dreaded that day when he would see her walk down the aisle not to him but to some other gentleman. 

And that day was today. 

He saw every single bit off it, her radiating off beauty and happiness, the love the couple shared, their vows full off emotions, and that kiss. It all left him shattered. 

He wanted nothing more than to just run away from this all and cry out his sorrows somewhere. But he didn't do it, for her sake. 

"Have a drink, Trav." She nudged his shoulder, making him drop his thoughts. Her bright smile made him repeat the action, and he took the glass from her. "You've been quiet, and that's not the best friend I know. What happened?" 

Your marriage that's what happened.

Though he answered, "Nothing, just feeling a bit weird. That's all."

She just nodded and whisked away probably to her new soulmate. Travis needed to get over her, and he needed another girl tonight. Maybe James' sister. He smirked at the thought. 

But he seriously needed to get over her, and realise that he had lost his chance. There was no way he could be with her. With his little best-friend. With Katie.