Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6

It seems like the next few days went by in a blur. Alec never texted me when he got home, but I knew he was at least alive due to him updating on Facebook. I tried not to let it bother me too much, but something kept me thinking about it.

What had I done wrong?

The next morning was finally Friday again, which meant another fire, but this time at Joe's house. I was excited to see my new friends- Matt and I had really hit it off and we spent every single day talking or randomly going over to each others houses to hang out- but I was beyond nervous that Alec would be there and ignore me...

My iPhone rang loudly, Jason Aldean was singing about tattoos, so I ran across my room to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Becca! You comin' to Joe's fire tonight?" Matt asked, out of breath.

I laughed into the phone, going to my closet. "Yes, Matty. I'll be there. I'm driving myself, too. I don't want anyone else thinking I'm with Will," I said only half-joking. "By the way, why are you breathing weird?"

Matt tried to control his breathing but let out a big laugh instead, making me laugh with him. "Well, funny story- OUCH MAN!"

Someone hit him and I heard quiet voices from the other end. Then Matt grabbed the phone again and was breathing normally now.

"The hell?" I asked, kind of confused.

"Oh. Nothing. No worries, Becca. I'll see you at the fire then? 7 sharp!" And he ended the call before I could ask anymore questions.

Confusing as THAT was, I decided to let it go while I made my way downstairs to find something to snack on. I saw my mom sitting on the bar stool, typing away at her lab top. I rolled my eyes, smiling.

"Mom, it's Friday afternoon. You've been out of work since 4. Can't you take a break?" I dramatically pleaded.

She typed one or two more sentences and closed her computer, pushing it to the middle of the bar. "All done, baby," she grinned.

"Good! Jeez, lady. You work too much," I teased, opening the fridge & grabbing a yogurt. "Besides," I started again. "Working all the time gives you wrinkles."

My mother snorted at me while she went to let Brutus, our dog, inside. "I, Rebecca, do NOT have wrinkles!"

I just shook my head and waved her goodbye as I grabbed my keys, a light coat and ran outside to my car.

It was 6:15 pm now, but I wanted to fill up and grab a slushie before I went to the fire, so I left a tad early. I texted Matt at the gas station asking if he wanted anything, and got him a Arizona Iced Tea. Oh the things I do for this man-whore.

My cell buzzed this time, since I put it on vibrate so I answered it before even looking at the number.

"Yola!" I sang as I filled my tank.

"I just finally got your number. Nice voice by the way," a familiar voice spoke into my ear. Alec. But why was he calling me now when I was only 5 minutes away from seeing him?

"Oh. Alec. Hi," was all I could say, still slightly hurt he'd ignored me, & somewhat embarrassed I sang when I answered.

"I realized after I got home that I never even asked for your number. And then I was gonna ask for it on Facebook, but as soon as I updated, my parents took away my lab top," he laughed a little.

As always I couldn't help but laugh with him. So he didn't forget about me, or blow me off. I smiled at the thought.

"It's cool. No biggie. I, um, well I still have your jacket. It's in my car, if you want it back," I tried to sound all non-chalant, but it didn't work. Stupid nerves.

"I'm glad you still have it. Are you almost here?" He got right to the point.

"Yeah, um I'm at Circle K now, just filled up my tank and now I'm grabbing a drink. Oh! Would you like anything?" I managed to stay a lot more calm this time. Score!

"Nah. I'm good. I have a Snapple, but thanks for the offer, Bec," he smiled. I knew he was smiling, just by the tone in his voice.

Plus he called me Bec.

"Okay. Right. So, yes. I'll be there in like 5? See you!" And I did what Matt did to me earlier; hung up before any response. I felt my red cheeks lose their color now and sighed in relief.

Getting the drinks into my car, I gripped the steering wheel and headed to Joe's house.

I pulled in the drive way, parking in the grass since there were a lot of cars here and made my way back to the fire. Matt came running first, setting our drinks down and swooping me up in a bear hug.

"Becca!" He flashed that prize winning smile, and I ruffled his hair.

"Hi Matty," I giggled, as we grabbed our beverages and sat down by the gang. Alec was sitting next to Miranda, which made me feel uncomfortable. But what happened next caught me completely off guard.

"Hey, Becca. I'm Rian," a cute- no, hot- guy stood in front of me, holding out his hand and smiling.

"H... I. Um- Bec. Hi," I stuttered.

I didn't stutters due to his hotness or how close he was to me. I stuttered because behind him, Alec was nibbling on Miranda's ear, his hand on her thigh.