Chapter Four

Mara's age still ten

Mara's Pov
"So little one what is this I hear about you sneaking out?" The loudest cough caught inside my throat and I chocked on the noodles I was shoving down my throat, gripping my chopsticks dead tightly.

I quickly shot my eyes to look at Itachi who was drinking his tea but he also locked our gazes and gave me a quick shake to his head no.

I kept coughing managing to swallow the remainder of my noodles setting the empty cup of noodles down.  "Um, no... I'm not allowed to leave remember." I laughed nervously avoiding dad's deep eyes and expression.

"You know what happens when you lie to me right?" I almost gulped and avoided more eye contact but I knew that would make the suspicion way worse. I set the chopsticks down.

"I do know but not recently no. " I muttered maybe last month a few times when Itachi wasn't busy he would use his justu and would play with me. He would let me explore and answer my many many questions. Itachi was sometimes a total lifesaver.

"Mara go to your room." I heaved out an annoyed sigh but stood up from the table glad only Itachi was the one hearing me getting scolded and not anyone else.

I let my bare feet walking across the base all the way to my room sighing I shut the door my bedroom hearing a small explosion somewhere form Deidara.

I planted myself down on my bed face and stomach down. Sighing. Was this the kind of life I wanted? Always being sent to my room for wanting to be like a normal kid.

I carefully stood back up after some time I opened my door carefully slipping out I tiptoed back towards the wall leaning on it eavesdropping on the conversation.

"It's only a few times when I take her out Pein, you can't keep her sheltered forever. She's already rebelling and she's only ten how long do you think you can keep the Akatsuki hidden from her. She's a smart one and sooner or later she will learn of the organization and just how bad we are." I almost had to stop myself from gasping so loudly covering my mouth fast.

I.... Isn't that the group that attack other villages? They attack and kill so many people. I only ever heard a few times from different letters in dad's office. But know that couldn't be true.

"I know I will have to tell her sooner or later, but she is still young, I was hoping I could wait till she is sixteen but you have grown fond of her Itachi promise to always protect her." I felt like I had heard enough pushing myself away from the wall.

I dashed fast into dad's office shutting the door I then shuffled my way towards his desk looking at all the papers around his desk.

I almost screamed in frustration but I then heard Konan's footsteps heading to the office so I quickly stuffed as many letters and papers as I could into my pants pocket and I slipped outside the office gasping when I bumped into her form.

"Careful." She muttered steadying me she gazed at me fully. "Oh thank you." I stammered fast shaking my head pulling away from her quickly. She shot me a confused look.

"You look like you've seen a ghost." Once again she has commented. I forced a nervous laugh.

"Oh no I'm fine." I quickly told her goodbye rushing back into my room, I slammed the door shut fast gasping for breath.

"God that was close," I whispered making sure to lock the door I then sat on the middle of the floor spreading all the letters and papers down around me.

Yeah, this was a lot to go through. I know dad was always doing mission reports. So hence went the long drowning hours of the night with me going through each mission report I had picked up in my rush.

I held back a soft yawn bringing my fist to my mouth I fluttered my eyes picking up one with a random date and time. My eyes almost perked up right then and there but I held it.

Mission report, Village unknown, casualties around fifty. Around 7:00 pm in the night, the village was engraved in flames. In a house on the outskirts, a family of three was deceased. In the rumble was a baby no more than a mere newborn possible a few months. Instead of killing the child, I took her in. Her name is Mara. Until further notice, every one of the Akatsuki will be taking care of her. No one as she grows will tell her origins even when she questions.

My grip on the paper was tight and I was almost gasping at the tightness in my chest watching as my tears suddenly smudge the paper quite a lot. I knew I was always different from dad. He had always taken care of me everyone has taken care of me Itachi... Hidan, Kisame... Sasori... Deidara... Konan... Tobi...  Kakuzu, Zetsu was it all a lie this entire time.