3

I decided to make Dylan's favorite, chicken with cheesy veggies. Hopefully, it'll lift his mood more. I decided to play some music while I make dinner, music always makes me feel better. As I choose a random playlist, I realized that the chicken was burning.

I exclaimed, "Shit!"

 I got over to the stove and flipped the chicken on the side, seeing a dark brown but not the black upturned side. I sighed heavily and massaged my temples. I reed to get my schedule changed. With me being so busy with work, I've got no time for Dylan or even myself.

He's all I've got left and he hasn't spoken to me about anything from school. Not even crushes, field trips, and bullies. I feel like a failure to not recognize his struggles. That's it. Tomorrow, I'm getting a different schedule or I'm quitting.

I grabbed a larger bowl from the cabinet and set it on the counter. Oh wow, I'm a bad hostess.

 I turn to Jonathan, "Would you like a drink? I've got water, Dr. Pepper, milk, and herbal ttea bags"

He was sitting in front of the other counter and he seemed to be daydreaming. I wave my hand in his face, now snapping him out of his state of mind.

He replies, "Just water please."

I nod with a soft smile and reach for a white mug. I set the mug down for the cold and filtered water in the fridge. I managed to buy it and it made Dylan drink more water as well as me. Soda is a blessing AND a curse.

I set the mug on the counter and Jonathan says, "Thank you, (Y/N)."

I nod and walk to Dylan's room to pick a shirt, shorts, and briefs for him. I folded them and walked to the bathroom door. I gently knock on the white door and wait for a response. I say, "Bubba, I'm coming in with your clothes."

I hear an 'Okay!' and turn the doorknob. I walk to the closed toilet seat and set the sleepwear on top. I walk out of the steamy room and shut the door behind me. Hopefully, the hot shower will soothe his bruises.

I walk back into the kitchen and to the freezer to grab the frozen vegetables and cheese. I tear the bag open and shook out the many bright colors of food. The shower goes off and I was going to throw the bag away when I paused in my steps. I heard light footsteps going to my door.

Jonathan says, "Are you alright, (Y/N)?"

I turn to him and whisper, "Do you hear that?"

 I don't know why but the hairs on my arms went completely up and I started to sweat slightly. Something isn't right. Doesn't feel right.

I hear Jonathan say, "Hear what?"

I shake off the paranoia and turn back to my guest. I reply, "Sorry, guess I just got a feeling of deja vu. Although, I've never felt that way before."

Jonathan says, "It's okay to have fear and paranoia. It keeps you alert and maybe ready for a bad situation. I find it quite fascinating actually. It sounds so delightful."

Like that's not making my paranoia lessen.

I groan when I hear a few knocks at my door. I walk to the peephole and see....wait, didn't he save me from falling and dying of embarrassment so I didn't die of embarrassment by being flirty?