-6-

ANAYA CALDWELL

Normally, I would go through the main entrance of my house just to say hello to my mom and niece as well as Yara if she was around. However, I was far too drained from work today to be bothered with the social interaction. Instead, I headed in from my own separate entrance as discreetly as I possibly could to negate from them knowing I was here. Once I was settled, I didn't mind but more than anything I just needed a warm bath and to change into my comfortable pjs.

I placed my seafood platter that I had ordered on the way home, onto my kitchen island then hung my keys up on the hook. Walking over to the sink I made sure to wash my hands before I touched anything else. I dried them off against my jeans meanwhile sorting through the mail I had picked up from the mailbox.

"Bills, bills, coupons, more bills." I placed them onto the island as well then made my way over to the bedroom. "Alexa, play Wonderful by Burna Boy." I said while stripping out of my clothes and throwing them into the laundry basket. Just as I was about to step into the bathroom, I stopped dead in my tracks due to the sound of running water that appeared to be coming from inside.

Confused, I began to ponder who and why someone would even be down here. I gazed around the room and finally began to realize a few things that were out of place. I had been far too tired and used to routine to notice but now that I was alert, it was evident that someone was in here. There was a sweater on my bed next to a bouquet of flowers and those crisp white air forces by the door.

I poked the inside of my cheek with my tongue and pushed open the door to see exactly who I had expected to see. Dominic knelt by the bath tub with his hand testing the temperature, he glanced up at me and gave me a very comforting smile. As much I wanted to run over to him and give him a hug; I folded my arms across my chest. "Really?" I asked, "after a whole month you think you could just break into my house and run me a bath and think everything's going to be okay?"

"First of all, I didn't break in." he stood to his feet and said, "I was let in by your mother."

I rolled my eyes, "of course you were."

"Second of all, I figured after a long day this was the least, I could do." he stuck his hands into his pockets and shrugged. "I... wanted to get you a gift and do something cute but... you know the situation." He sighed, "tryna stay on the straight and narrow. So I got you some apology flowers."

"Hmm, I see." I nodded while I leaned against the doorframe. My eyes took notice of the duffle bag that sat on the bathroom floor closer to the closet. "You're taking me up on my offer?" I asked, gesturing towards it.

Dominic's eyes followed my gaze and I watched his demeanor change as he turned to face me. "Come get in the bath with me?" he asked quickly changing the subject. "We got a lot of catching up to do."

"Well, that's what happens when you ghost your girlfriend for thirty days Dominic." I scoffed, "You can enjoy that bath and I'll run myself another once you're done."

"Anaya, please."

"No Dom. You don't get to do that... you don't just get to shut me out and return as you please."

"It's deeper than me ghosting you or shutting you out Anaya, I just... had no choice."

"Who the hell was stopping you?"

"Look, I don't want to talk about it like this. I get it, I messed up and yes I should've communicated better but there's just a whole lot going on."

"Which I do understand, but why am I not apart of what it takes to getting those things handled? Why am I not being involved in your healing process? I've been right by your side many times before; I don't see what the difference is now."