-26-

DOMINIC ALEXANDER

"We have to understand. That when God needs us to be elevated, the place we are in becomes very uncomfortable... and of course, as humans we ask 'why?' why must I lose it all in order to get to another level, why must I hit rock bottom, why must I have trust issues, why must I lose my job, etcetera. The reason is because when we are comfortable, we see no reason to change. We grow content with the now and lose sight of the future. We had goals written but since we made it half way, we feel like that's enough." He shook his head and walked across the stage. "It's not! Close enough doesn't count when we're talking about purpose. Your God given purpose, must be fulfilled whether we like it or not. Whether we're obedient or not, HE who is control will find a way to make us WAKE UP!" he shouted, clapping his hands together, "and understand that this discomfort is a reason... it's time to move."

The preacher chuckled while walking back over to the bible, "Romans 8:18, states clearly that the suffering of this present time is not worthy to be compared to the glory that shall be revealed in HIM. Once we get to that finish line, we will see... the position we thought was all that; was nothing. We were settling when there was so much bigger, so much better in store for us. I know it may not feel like it, I know you may not see it. But believe me brethren when I tell you this... hold on, keep pushing, keep fighting, don't give up because soon and very soon, you will see the rewards of your work, the flowers grown by the tears you've cried. SOON and very soon..." The channel went to commercial and leaned back in the sofa, letting out a sigh.

I looked to my left to see Maya putting the new color book I had gotten her to use, while humming a song from Frozen of course. It was peaceful to see her in a much happier place than she had been a few days back. To be quite frank, she kept me at ease during this difficult moment. My brain was scattered to say the least, but with her keeping my hands tied; I didn't have much time to really think about it. Maya was indeed, a positive distraction.

"You hungry Maya?" I called out, grasping her attention immediately.

"Not yet, Uncle Dom."

"Alright, do you know what you want to eat later?"

"Hmm." She pressed her finger against her lip and closed her eyes as she thought about it. "Chicken wings!"

"Chicken wings?!" I said in the most animated tone I could find, "You sure know how to pick some good eats. I gotta keep you around more often." She giggled, "chicken wings and fries?"

"Yes please."

"Alright, I'll order it soon so that you can have them hot and fresh when you get hungry."

"Thank you, Uncle Dom."

"You're welcome, Princess."

I took my phone out of my pocket and just as I was about to open up the app, the program I had been watching returned to the screen. "That was your Sunday special coming straight from Gospel Tabernacle located in Atlanta, Georgia, where Pastor Keith Alexander is the pastor." My jaw clenched seeing his face flash across the screen, "our phone lines are now open for those who are wanting to give their lives to Christ, donate or even just share a testimony. Our ministers are well equipped and ready to help you with whatever your struggle is. Don't hesitate, but call us right now. Our number is 555-2929. Once again, 555-2929! We'll be waiting for your call. Have a wonderful Sunday and as usual, be blessed."

555-2929. I dialed the number into my phone and stood to my feet, adjusting my sweats. "Maya, I'm going to be right on the balcony, okay? Knock if you need me."

"Okay." She said, looking up at me with curious eyes. I changed the channel to Nickelodeon Kids and made my way over to the balcony door. "Uncle Dom..." she whispered, just as I was about to step out.