-3-

-ANAYA CALDWELL-

I flipped through the stacks of printed out sheets of information that filled my bed, last night was a real trip especially since I hadn't slept one bit after everyone left. I was far too busy trying to educate myself on what exactly transpired with Dom. Although Yara and my mom were quick to jump to the idea of it being PTSD, I didn't want to be that person. I wanted to do all the reading necessary, I wanted to prove to them that it could've just been the heightening of his senses within the moment. Like I said before, Dom had gone to jail many times prior, I don't see how this time could've been so different.

Leaning back against my headboard I groaned from the soreness I felt in my back, after sitting up for hours straight; the ache was inevitable. I ran my fingers through the messy pile of hair on top of my head then pushed the papers to the side. I reached over to grab my phone before I laid under my fuzzy white blanket. Ignoring the notifications, I opened up the phone and began to dial Dominic's roommates' number. I had been waiting all night for some kind of correspondence but soon realized that he had yet to actually get a phone again. Now that it was 9 am, I figured it was a respectful time to give his roommate a call.

Placing it on speaker, I leaned into my pillow and listened to it ring a few times until finally someone answered. "Hey Anaya."

"Oh, hey Jason. Sorry to call so early." I could hear the grogginess in his tone and knew without a doubt that I had just woken him up.

"No worries," he yawned. "Now that he's back I know you aint calling me to make his half of the rent payments... so to what do I owe this phone call?"

"I just wanted to know if he was alr... home." I corrected, not trying to make it seem like anything was wrong with him. "He left the party early last night and said he would call. Totally slipped my mind that he didn't have his phone set up as yet."

"Ah, I see. Yeah, I hear him up in the kitchen did you want to talk to him?"

"If you don't mind, I would appreciate it."

"Say no more, gimme a minute."

"Sounds good." I held my phone up so that I could glance at the unanswered texts and DM's I had waiting in my notification centre. Most were from people congratulating me on my graduation photos that Yara had forced me to post last night. With all that happened, she didn't want anyone to see me down instead she taught me that it was best to play it off in public but shed my necessary tears in private.

Shortly after, I heard some shifting on the phone until finally Dominic came on the line. It was as if I had been holding my breath because the moment, I heard his "good morning beautiful," I let out a deep exhale. Nearly crying at the sound.

"Good morning, baby." I fanned at my eyes while adjusting in a more comfortable position. "You never got a chance to call me back."

"I know, I'm sorry mama. Today I'm going to go down to the mall and see if I could cop myself a used phone or something."

"Sounds like a plan, do you want me to come with?"

"I'd love that but I still gotta see my boys, some of them wanted them to hit up the pool bar for lunch..."

"Oh, okay. That should be fun, you deserve a celebration after all."

"I mean, it's just nice to be home I guess." Dom cleared his throat, "Can we meet up afterwards?"

"Yeah, that would be nice. Should I cook us up something or order in?"

"I miss your cooking, so with that being an option I am definitely going with it."