Chapter 1

Cody had only been around for a few hours this Friday. He'd decided to go around at least two times a week. Both Sam and Callum grew comfortable around him and they grew close as a trio.

As Cody was leaving he took Sam alongside alone. 'You know he misses you...' He whispered.

Sam grew stiff. His father had continuously tried to sell him on talking to his dad, but he always refused. 'He killed Brianny dad.' Sam whispered. 'I can't just forgive him for that.'

Cody sighed, but nodded understandingly, hugging him. 'I love you.'

'I love you too.' He told him.

Cody smiled, walking out.

After he'd gone, Callum approached Sam, taking his hand in his own. 'What was that about?'

'Same old.' Sam sighed, looking for his keys which Callum picked up and handed over. 'I'm going to take Gator for a walk.'

Callum nodded and smiled and at his name, Gator scurried in, barking softly. Sam stroked his puppy's head gently. 'We're going on a walk.' He told his pet who jumped up and down happily.

Sam waved goodbye to Callum as he headed off with his puppy. They visited a nearby park that Sam found quite peaceful. A river ran around it, and it was being taken by the weeds and vegetation which grew out of it. Sometimes he would just sit there, listening to the gentle stream, but then Gator would grow agitated and he would start barking, so Sam picked himself up and carried on.

Excited, Gator barked, running forward slightly. 'You don't shut up do you?' He asked.

'No, and my girlfriend's always complaining about it.' Someone answered.

Sam looked up in shock to see a friend of his from a few year's ago smiling down on him. 'Sam!' He said excited, reaching out for hug.

Stiffening up Sam allowed him to, before realising who it was. 'Brady?' He smiled.

'Yeah man, how are you!'

Sam was kind of surprised to see his old school friend here. Brady was a few years ahead of him, and they hadn't stayed in contact since. Everyone had been surprised they were friends, Brady was a lot more outgoing then he was.

'I'm good.' Sam smiled.

Brady moved aside and put an arm around a young Hispanic girl in a revealing orange shirt who was on her phone. 'This is my girlfriend.' He said, 'Ruby, meet Sam, Sam, meet Ruby.'

The girl looked him up and down and grimaced.

Sam stuck his hand out which she ignored, turning back to her phone.

'Don't mind her.' Brady smiled and Ruby scoffed. 'It's so cool seeing you man it's been way too long! You in your final year yet?'

Sam nodded.

'Have a blast dude.' Brady told him. 'My last year was so much fun!'

Sam thought back to what had happened over the last year and he shuddered. He sure hoped the year ahead would be better. 'Y-Yeah it was...' He trailed off.

Surely Brady would've heard about what had happened, everyone else in the area seemed to?

Sam wasn't sure whether Brady seemed to notice or not, but he changed the topic nevertheless. 'We need to meet up some time dude, we're only back here from College for a few nights.'

Nodding, Sam did like the idea of spending time with an old friend again. 'We could go to yours tomorrow?'

Brady shook his head. 'No, I'd like to go to yours.'

Ruby actually glanced up. 'Babe we're seeing my parents tonight and we cannot blow it off.'

Brady scratched the back of his head. 'Oh shit yeah. Tomorrow?'

Sam nodded. 'Awesome.'

Brady hugged him, and as he did his hands lingered slightly before letting him go. 'Welp, see you in a bit.'

Sam nodded. 'Bye Brady.'

As the two of them walked away, Sam kneeled down to his dog. 'That'll be fun.' He smiled, and Gator barked. 'Let's go home.' Gator barked again as they turned back around to go back home.

***

Sitting watching the television, Callum heard a noise coming from the front door. He glanced up to see a letter had been posted it, so he got up and dragged himself along to see who it was from. Next to sender, it wrote A. Louis, and he knew it was for his neighbour Abi.

'One day they'll get it right.' He muttered to himself, opening the door to give it back.

Callum left and headed next door. As he was about to post it through the door slung open and he saw the two women next door leaving.

'Oh, hi Callum. Everything okay?'

He nodded. 'Just got a wrong bit of mail.' He told them, handing it over.

Momma snatched it away as she turned back to go place it down, leaving Callum and Abi alone together.

'Don't mind her.' Abi told him.

Callum nodded understandingly. 'It's fine.' Abi had actually told him why Momma acted the way she did a few months after they met. She told him her son had been murdered, and he was also Abi's boyfriend at the time. Apparently that's why she liked to be called Momma as well. She needed it.

As Momma emerged from the hallway, she looked between them. 'You still here boy?' She asked.

Callum nodded. 'Bye Momma. Bye Abi.' He said, heading back off.