Unexpected Addition

Start from the beginning

All thoughts of dwarves left my mind when I looked inside. A small bundle lay on the dusty floor, wriggling around slightly. A small whimper sounded from the person under the blanket when I approached. My jaw dropped when I saw the face of the child in the blanket. It was just a baby!

"Laura, Lucy!" I yelled for them and knelt next to the baby, scooping it up in my arms. When I did, a note fell out of the blanket and onto the floor.

The baby girl started crying when I moved her and I hurried to hush her while I plucked the piece of paper from the floor. Just then, Lucy and Laura barged in, Lucy clutching her dagger and both scanning the room wildly. Lucy gasped when she saw the child crying in my arms and ran over, dropping her blade.

"Who is this?!" She moved the blanket away from her face to get a better look at her.

I held up the note to her and she took it, reading it aloud.

"To whoever finds this child, please take care of her as I wish I could. Queen Imana holds a grudge against my husband and I and has vowed to destroy us. She doesn't know that I had a child, and I hope to keep it that way. This is why I have kept her a secret from everyone, including my own mother, and hid her away here."

"They just abandoned her?!" Laura gasped.

"Shush, there's more." Lucy looked back down at the note. "I know Imana is on her way here and I know everyone I love will die when she arrives. Thankfully, a prophecy given to me by the village elder tells of a woman who will find my child and raise her as her own. I hope she will come soon, I don't want her to suffer."

They both looked up at me and I met their stares with a shocked expression. I looked down at the baby, now gently cooing in my arms and grabbing at my pipes. She was so innocent, she didn't deserve any of this. She deserved a caring family that loved her more than life itself, as a family should.

Lucy continued slowly, "Please care for her as your own and love her to the ends of the earth. She deserves that much."

"That's all?" Laura jumped up to look at the note.

"Yup." Lucy looked up at me, "What are you going to do?"

Quite honestly, I had no idea. The poor girl was all alone in the world, not a soul other than the three of us that knows that she exists. I couldn't help the protective nature I had for her, but I didn't know if I was ready for a child. I mean, I'm only twenty-six! Then again, most Narnians have children in their early twenties, if anything I'm on the later side of things.

"Let's go talk to Ed."

---

EDMUND'S POV

"Captain, are you sure we can trust the information the sailor gave us?"

"No, Your Majesty, but it's the best lead we've got."

I sighed, "Alright, based on his information, we should position two ships in the bay here." I pointed to an island on the map. "And the other ship will be here." I pointed to a large rock formation right off the coast of the island.

"Why would we place it there?" A minotaur questioned. "Wouldn't it be best to have it with the others to maximize our offensive forces?"

"No, we need to use defensive tactics with Imana's fleet. They outnumber us one hundred to one. No matter what weapons we have, they will always have the upper hand offensively."

"We can't keep running from them," He argued, slamming his hand on the wooden table on the deck. "At some point, we need to act offensively."

"Until then, we need to deplete their forces as much as possible without depleting our own." I leaned on the table.