Part 12~Sporty

Walking to school, the various members of class 1D made their way to school. While they were usually a happy and excitable lot, today they were disheartened and annoyed. Today started the sports festival, a useless day for the general studies classes.

"Hey, don't slow down, yet!"

Turning to look at the track, Umeki gasped at us. Toshi and I were running laps like every other morning. Even though we were going to spend the day running about, Shota wasn't going to let us off the hock.

"We've been running for half an hour," Toshi shouted back at Shota, before slowing down to a stop when he spotted our fellow classmates watching us.

"Oh, morning Umeki, Kosaku, Aneka, Chiumi and Bill," I greeted, hopping to a stop.

"Morning. How come you're training with Mr. Aizawa?" Rei walked forward pointing at Shota who had walked over, his arms bandaged from the USJ attack.

"Because Aizawa is Hitoshi's father," Bill said bluntly before realising what she said. "Wait... Your dad's a pro hero. How did you end up in general studies?"

Toshi rolled his eyes, not liking the idea of getting in just because he's dads are heroes. "I am getting in the hero course on my own terms, not as a favour to him."

Shota rolled his eyes before ruffling Toshi's hair. "If you ever thing I'm doing you any favours you more dumb than Zashi and that is saying something."

The group gave us weird looks but before Shota could say anything else, I grabbed Toshi's hand and started to drag him away. "We should get changed before the Sports Festival starts and you should get to your class."

Shota nodded, knowing he wouldn't be able to fight me on this. This was our chance to prove our worth, we are not missing it."

"It's U.A's sports festival! The one time each year when our fledgling heroes compete in a ruthless grand battle! First up you know who I'm talking about! The miraculous rising stars who brushed off a villain attack with their steely willpower! The first years of the hero course, it's class A!"

Slowly, one by one, the 'top' class walked out into the main space. They seemed to be shying away from the attention the crowd laid on them.

"Following class B, it's classes C, D and E of general studies!"

That was our cue to walk out, I held onto Toshi's sleeve, a little fearful of the loud noises around us.

"And here comes the support course class F, G and H! And the business course classes I, J and K!"

"We're only here to make the others look good," Yoritomo muttered, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Hard to get motivated," Chiaki agreed.

Shaking his head, Toshi ruffled my hair to stop me going to them to correct them. "Leave it."

"Now for the athlete's oath," Midnight announced, causing chatter to erupt through the stadiums. "Shut it! Pipe down! Your student representative is from class 1A, Katsuki Bakugo!"

I noticed a boy with red hair seemed shocked. Did they not know how this worked?

"Bakugo must have got first place during the entrance exam," someone explained simply.

"The hero course entrance exam you mean," Aneka corrected.

Bakugo walks up onto the podium, his usual scowl on his face. "The athlete's oath. I'm going to win."

People started to scream at Bakugo which is to be expected. He had to be arrogant now didn't he? Toshi gripped onto my hand to make sure I knew he was still by my side.

"Now without any delay, let's get the first event started. These are the qualifiers! IT's at this stage that so many are sent home crying every year! And the fateful first event this year is... this," Midnight pointed up towards a screen that flicked through the different options before ending on the last one.

An obstacle course race.

"It's a race between every member here today! The course is a four-kilometre lap around the stadium itself! Our school preachers freedom in all things, so as long as you don't go off the course, anything is fair game! Racers, to your positions!"

Breaking away from Toshi, I stood a little further to the back. The rest of our class didn't even bother to get ready for a move. They stood in the field, only prepared to use as little effort in this as possible.

A ding announced the start as everyone ran forward. Of course, as with any other bottle neck shape, the vast number of students struggled to fit through the small space. I shook my head at the predictable event before leaping over and onto different people's shoulders. This seemed to add an extra benefit when ice covered the ground and froze the people I was jumping on.

Rolling to the floor I started running forward. I could see a boy with white and red hair freezing over one of the robots. When some of the people tried to follow him under the robot, the thing collapsed and crushed them.

So much for being family friendly.

Picking up a piece of broken armour, I started to hit the zero pointers. Slowly making my way through the first zone. The next stage was a huge drop with ropes going between the different rock stacks.

Nothing like making student pizza, though there probably is some form of non-squashing floor.

Strapping the piece of armour to my back, I climbed along the rope, using the typewire lessons Zashi always claimed would come in useful. He is going to be an annoying smug when I get back.

On the other side, there was a huge minefield. It wasn't enough to hurt us but there are ways to change that.

Digging up as many mines I could, I pulled them into one stack and through the armour plate down and blasted off forward. I pressed my one available hand against my ear, trying my best not to panic from the explosion.

I saw that I was about to land on Bakugo and the frozen boy so I slammed down on the floor and blasted myself forward, rolling past the finish line as I let myself fall into my episode.

I didn't really recognise what was going on around me until Toshi arrived and started to sooth me. Well... this is going well.