Prologue~Braking Point

“Stupid Deku!” Kacchan launched at me, pinning me to the ground. He let off explosions that burnt the skin underneath his palms, my skin.

I had forgotten the last time I got a peaceful time at school. Kacchan hated me. I couldn’t understand why. I wasn’t useless. I was trying to protect him. He didn’t understand how dangerous it was.

Another explosion hit my stomach and caused me to cry out in pain. Everything hurt. It hurt so bad.

“Do you think you’re better than me?! Is that it?!” Kacchan once again held his hand against my skin and let out explosions. He slowly raised his hand so it rested on my neck. “I could kill you. And you wouldn’t be able to do a thing. You useless. You’re a coward. And you will not get in my way. Just give up.”

Kacchan stood, giving me a final kick to my side before leaving with his goons.

He didn’t understand. I needed to protect him, protect them all.

They couldn’t understand.

Why couldn’t they just understand?!

Slowly, I picked my self up, trying my best to not aggravate the red marks that covered my broken skin.

I didn’t want to go home. Being at home hurt too. He didn’t mean to hurt me, he wanted me to become strong. He didn’t understand.

I didn’t look up, I couldn’t. My sunglasses were broken. I couldn’t make eye contact. That was against the rules.

Dad was waiting for me at home. He didn’t look happy. He never looked happy.

“You’re late. Come on, we need to train before Inko gets home.” Be grabbed my arm and dragged me to the training room. There was already someone there. “What are you waiting for?”

I didn’t meet his eyes. I didn’t want to do this.

“Do you want to become a hero?! Do you want to make our family happy?!”

I gave a hesitant nod. Yes I did, but not like this.

“Then use your Quirk.”

“I’m sorry.” Tears fell down my face as I locked eyes.

Screams. So many screams. Fire. Lots of fire. It was too much. I tried to close my eyes but dad forced them open.

“Not yet.”

The man was thrashing in the ground. His eyes still locked with mine. He was in pain! It hurt! It hurt so much! My head screeched and my eyes burned. My ears started to blood as red tears travelled down my face.

This wasn’t fair! Let us go! Let us go!

“Please! Stop it! Stop it!”

Dad growled and throw me to the side. He didn’t care that I was in pain.

“Are you going to tell me what I want to know?” He picked up the man by his throat. “Or are we going to have to do that again?”

“N-no. I’ll tell you. Just not again.”

Dad was smirking. He didn’t look at me as he dragged the man away. I hated this!

Why couldn’t they understand?! Why?! Why?! Why?!

I didn’t hear mum coming home, or Dad lying to her about work. I couldn’t think. I needed to grow up. I needed to stop this.

Discreetly, I snuck down the stairs, Mum was asleep. No one could find me. My hands trembled, I couldn’t let them hurt because of me.

It was sad. Mum loved my eye, she said it looked like a fire, burning amber and deep red, on a sea of blue. She saw that but all I saw was death. All anyone saw was death.

It didnt work in mirrors, we learnt that four years ago when the eye first came. The evil eye.

The tip of the knife was barely a centimetre from my eye. I had to get rid of it. I had to.

I was scared, terrified, it was going to hurt. But I had to. For them.

“Kid?”