CHAPTER FIFTEEN

A/N- Hello 1K readers!!! Yeah... This book finally reached one thousand reads! Thank you everyone. You all are the best! 😘😘
So tell a friend to tell a friend about 'Fighting For Mason.'

We stayed that way for some minutes or hours, I don't know 'cause I was too sad to count. Mason turned so he was now facing me, rather than backing me. I could see the depths of the sadness in his eyes.

"Why didn't you tell me? Don't you trust me?" He asked, his voice sounding really croaked.
"I think what you need is a glass of water." I said, attempting to get up but Mason held my wrist thereby keeping me in place.

"Water can wait. Why didn't tell me? You've been suffering and carrying that huge burden alone." He rubbed my wrist lightly, making light circles on it absentmindedly.
"It was for the best Mason." I muttered.
"What do you mean it was the best?" He asked looking shocked at my statement.

"You wouldn't understand." I said turning my face away from his.
We were sitting upright now but still facing each other. Mason placed his finger under my chin and turned my face back to his.
"Then make me understand." He said softly.
I raised my hands in anger and slammed it on my laps. I stood up hastily and started prancing round the room.

"Mason this is your opportunity. You can run for the hills and trust me I wouldn't judge you one bit. I would totally understand." I pranced as my spoke, my hands shaking nervously. I knew that if Mason wanted to stop being friends, it would totally kill me but I just wanted him not to be burdened.
Mason looked really hurt as he asked me, "And why would I do that?"

I looked at him like he had two heads, "Don't be naive Mason. No one wants a liability as a friend and that's what I am right now, a liability. So if I were you I'll take the free pass I'm giving you and run away while you still can." I said my hands still really shaky. I put them together hoping it'll stop.

Mason stood up quickly with a skill that I knew I couldn't learn in a million years 'cause let's face it, I already go to the hospital enough and I definitely don't want broken ankles to be part of my hospital visits.

"Hey... Hey, Hailey look at me." He said pleading with me. I turned to his direction but instead of looking at him in the face, I looked at my feet.
He put his two hands on my face and made me look at him, "Friendship isn't about staying when things are good and rosy, but standing beside a friend when things are really bad. A true friend isn't someone who's simply around you during your challenges but that person who stands by you, holds your hand and assures you that everything will be okay. That's what I want to be for you. We've been through so much together and if you ask me, it's pretty late to get rid of me. If you couldn't after you pushed me down the stairs which by the way I should have cracked my skull and died but I didn't 'cause my stubborn ass is determined to be by your side. You're stuck with me Hails." He smiled widely.

I took a glance at his face, and saw the sincerity in his eyes and it wasn't long before I started crying hardly. He hugged me while my tears was soaking his shirt.

"I'm so sorry I said what I said. I know we've been through so much together, but I didn't tell you not 'cause I didn't trust you but 'cause I wanted to protect you. The selfish part of me just wanted our friendship to remain the same till I leave. I didn't want anything to change or our conversation to become strained. I never wanted you to look at me with pity. I'm really sorry for keeping it from you." I apologized profusely as the tears kept rolling down my cheeks.
"It's fine... It's fine. No need to apologize, I totally understand why you did what you did. I'm not blaming you for it. Let's just sleep over it. Okay?" He asked.

Unable to say anything I just nodded. He guided me to the bed and got me under the covers. He went over to the left side and got in too. I pulled closer and rested my head on his chest. His arms immediately circled on my back.

"Aren't you going to eat so you can take your sleeping pills?" I asked as I felt my eyelids closing. So much emotions have come out today so my frail body is asking for a rest.
Mason shook his head and smiled, "She still worries about me. Let this night be about you, Okay?"

I just nodded and pulled closer. It wasn't long before I felt my eyes drooping but not before I heard Mason mutter, "From here to the moon. We're in this together Hails."

Mason's P.O.V
When Hailey fainted as we were coming back from the ice-cream parlor, I was so confused. When the ambulance came, I was totally confused. So imagine the doctor thinking I was a relative, telling me about some cancer treatment that's going to be administered on Hailey. I was beyond confused 'cause I couldn't believe it. Hailey, my Hailey didn't have cancer. I kept asking the doctor if we were talking about the same Hailey. I mean if Hailey had cancer she would have told me, right? I decided to call her parents for them to witness the absolute rubbish I was hearing. The only problem is that when they got here, her mom kept crying to her Dad about how Hailey shouldn't give up on them yet. It was then it dawned on me that it was actually true.

I was like a ghost pacing around the hallways. I couldn't believe that there's a chance that I'll never see Hailey again, there'll be no one to spend my days with or tease every morning. I just couldn't come to the terms of it. When Hailey's parents pleaded with me to go home and rest, I did it. When I got back home, I just kept glancing at I and Hailey's pictures for the past five years. Hailey was my first wing woman, who was I kidding, Hailey is my everything. A friend, a sister.

I was clutching our picture, when I heard mom knocking and crying. I feel so bad that I'm making my mom feel bad but I feel like I have to get my emotions sorted out first. I don't want my mom to see me this way 'cause she'll ask what happened and I don't want to tell her about Hailey 'cause it isn't my place to tell.

I soon heard another knock on the balcony door, I knew it was Hailey. My heart shattered in a million pieces at the thought of the pain Hailey must be going through. When she wrapped her hands around my waist, I couldn't hold it in any longer as the sobs racked my body. I couldn't care less about being a man and not showing any pain, I mean this was Hailey, the Hailey who showed up to my football game with her pyjamas simply because according to her she overslept that evening, so when she woke up and discovered she was already really late. It was either spend the remaining time prepping herself and get there when the game is over or come that way and show me support. If you really know Hailey, then you'll understand why I feel this sad.

When Hailey said I could run to the hills now and how no one wants a liability as a friend. I felt hurt at first but I waved that feeling away 'cause I knew Hailey. She was a perfect at deflecting, so I knew she didn't mean it. When I told her that I'll always stand by her, she started crying. My heart broke even more seeing Hailey in so much pain. Hailey really acts all tough but I know that she's actually really sad.

Suddenly everything made total sense, the weird check ups, her taking certain drugs and unexplained absence from school on some days. I have to give it to Hailey 'cause she actually hid it well. I wouldn't have known if she didn't faint that day.
All I know right now is that Hailey needs me now, more than ever and trust me, I don't want to let her down. I won't treat her like a procelain doll so she wouldn't feel like anything has changed and withdraw. She wanted normal and that's what I'll give her.
I meant what I whispered to her when she was falling asleep in my arms, "From here to the Moon and back. We're in this together Hails."

For no matter the challenges, I plan to keep Hailey smiling and that is a promise.

A/N- Mason's braving through the storm with Hailey.

Has there been a time when you had to put your pain aside and put on a smiling face so that your friend/parents/siblings/wife/husband, can smile again?

If you have done that before, you deserve an award 'cause even if it was just for a moment someone was happy cause you decided to be selfless.

Till the next update,
Bye 🚶