Katherine Amelia Nichols

"Will you be his godmother, Katherine?" my friend, Madeline, asked, holding her newborn son in her arms.  The look in her eyes was pure joy, and I could tell she really wanted me to say yes.

I never really wanted kids, but it was mostly because of the bad things that could happen during the birth.  Plus, I don't think I'll have much to do as a godmother.

"Of course," I said.  Madeline smiled happily and looked at her husband, Trent, who had just returned from having a conversation with the non-committal nightmare that is Jason Graham.

"What did Jason say?" she asked him.

"He said yes.  What did Katherine say?" Trent asked.  Madeline smiled even brighter (I didn't know that was even possible).

"She said yes, too!"

"What did you say yes to?" Jason asked me at a volume that the other two couldn't hear me at.

I crossed my arms. "I'm Greyson's godmother.  What did you say yes to?"

"Being Greyson's godfather," he said back in the same annoyed tone.  He crossed his arms, and I rolled my eyes.

"I'm surprised you can even commit to the role," I retorted.  He rolled his eyes.  I gave him a triumphant smile before turning back to Madeline, Trent, and Greyson.  I smiled (for real) at them to show that I wasn't angry with them.

Jason walked over towards them with a smile. "Could I hold him?"

"Of course," Madeline answered brightly, carefully handing the bundle of blue blankets over to Jason.

He smiled down at the baby, bouncing him lightly.  I walked over to see the baby, and he looked at me with his beautiful blue eyes.  My heart melted.

"You're already such a little charmer," I cooed, holding his tiny hand.  I felt somebody's eyes on me and looked up.  Jason was smiling down at me.  I rolled my eyes at him and went back to cooing at the baby.

He didn't need to rub it in my face that I may actually like this kid.

We had dated a while ago, but we wanted different things.  Actually, it's more of what we didn't want.  He didn't want to settle down, and I didn't want children.

"Happy birthday, Greyson!" I exclaimed, setting the present I brought on the counter and sweeping him up from his highchair

I bounced him in my arms, and he gave a toothless smile.

I carried him further into the kitchen where Madeline and Trent were practically tripping over each other in an attempt to get all the food prepared.  I smiled at them as they bickered.

"Do you guys need help with anything?" I asked.  Madeline turned to me and shook her head with a smile. "Are you sure?"

"You could go out and start setting all the tables up," Trent said.  Madeline shot him a look before smiling at me again.