Happier

Based off of "Happier" by Ed Sheeran

Walking down 29th and Park

James was on his way home from a long day at school. College was kicking his ass.

I saw you in another's arms

Only a month we've been apart

His breath caught in his throat. There he was.

Keith.

It had been a little over a month since they broke up. 37 days. James chided himself for remembering the exact number.

A boy with blue eyes has his arm around Keith's shoulders, and they were both smiling.

You look happier

Saw you walk inside a bar

They went into the Lion's Tavern. The bar where James and Keith would go after a long day of school.

He said somethin' to make you laugh

I saw that both your smiles were twice as wide as ours

Blue eyes made a joke and they both laughed. His smile pulled James's heart strings. He hadn't seen that beautiful smile in far too long.

Yeah, you look happier, you do

Ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you

James had been so busy. Keith had an athletic scholarship, but his was academic. If his grades weren't good enough, he'd lose it. He'd barely spent any time with his boyfriend.

But ain't nobody love you like I do

God how he missed him. His life let so empty without him.

Promise that I will not take it personal, baby

If you're movin' on with someone new

'Cause baby you look happier, you do

The breakup had been hard on James. But Keith was strong. He'd bounced back almost instantly. And James was happy for him. He deserved someone who made him happy.

My friends told me one day I'll feel it too

And until then I'll smile to hide the truth

Ryan and Nadia had assured him that he'd get over it, that it was for the best. But James didn't believe them.

But I know I was happier with you

Keith was his everything. He loved him more than himself.

Sat in the corner of the room

Everything's reminding me of you

James went home, and fell onto the couch. The apartment was so empty without Keith. They used to cuddle on this couch, watching a movie that they'd end up forgetting because they started kissing. In their bedroom, where they would hold each other while they slept. In the kitchen, where he and Keith would dance around and sing while making breakfast on Saturdays.

Nursing an empty bottle

And telling myself you're happier, aren't you?

His liquor cabinet was empty. He'd gone through it all not too long after the breakup and was too tired to get more. He'd hated having to breakup. But Keith wasn't happy with him anymore, and he wanted Keith to be happy.

Oh, ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you

He'd been mad at him at first, and has even cried a bit. He thought it was out of the blue, that James had no reason to.

But ain't nobody need you like I do

When he left, James cried, and cried and cried. Keith was the light in his life, the best thing that ever happened to him. And he'd let him go.

I know that there's others that deserve you

But Keith deserved better than what James was able to give him then.

But my darlin', I am still in love with you

He loved him. He still loves him. But now wasn't their time.

But I guess you look happier, you do

My friends told me one day I'll feel it too

But Keith was happy. That'd have to do for now.

I could try to smile to hide the truth

But I know I was happier with you

James has never been happier than when he was with Keith. Even now, those memories make him smile.

'Cause baby, you look happier, you do

I knew one day you'd fall for someone new

But right now wasn't their time. Maybe in the future, he'd get another chance.

But if he breaks your heart like lovers do

Just know that I'll be waitin' here for you

James knew he would always love Keith. And maybe someday, he would love him too. If Keith ever wanted to try again, James would be here, waiting.