T W E N T Y - N I N E

"Katelynn."

"Kate."

I wake up to someone shaking me gently.

"Katelynn honey, you slept past your alarm. Are you feeling okay?" My mom rests her hand on my forehead to check for a temperature.

"I feel fine mom." My voice sounds groggy from sleeping. I replay the amazing dream that I was having.

I was on a date with Will and he kissed me.

It was very similar to how our date yesterday went when he took me to get lunch during school. I can feel my cheeks heating up at the thought of it.

We haven't discussed what happened in that parking lot and frankly, I don't think we need to nor do I want to.

"Mom, what time is it?" I stretch out my body before rolling onto my tummy, snuggling deeper into my blankets and pillows.

"Almost 8. School starts in about 5 minutes." My bed dips when she takes a seat right behind me, her hand moving back and forth on my arm comfortingly, making me want to drift back to sleep. "Will stopped by to pick you up for school."

At the sound of his name my ears perk up and I suddenly feel wide awake. "Oh shoot, he was here? What did you tell him?" I turn over onto my back to face her properly.

"I told him that you weren't up yet and you probably just weren't feeling well."

I fumble for my phone on my nightstand to see 2 new messages from Will, both ten minutes apart.

Will
Be there in 5.

Will
Hey your mom said you're sick. Are you okay? Do you need anything?

"Honey, I was thinking; maybe you should stay home from school today. We could have a girls day, just me and you. It's been a while since you've skipped school to spend the day with me and I feel like we haven't spent much time together recently." She's right, I go to school all day and then I have cheer practice and then I usually spend my evenings with Will.

"Okay." I smile. "We could go get breakfast?" It comes out as a suggestion but I already know that her answer is 'yes'. Mom loves breakfast food.

"Only if it's at Madelaine's."

"Deal." I throw my comforter off of me so I can start getting ready.

"Yay! Let's get ready and then we can go. I'll meet you downstairs in 30 minutes." She leaves my room, closing the door on her way out.

On my way to the bathroom I send a quick text back to Will.

Me
Hey, I'm not sick, I just slept through my alarm. I'm sorry that you drove all the way here for nothing!

Within seconds he texts back.

Will
Don't worry about it, your house is on my way to school anyways. I'm just glad that you're
feeling okay. Are you coming to school?
I can come pick you up.

I glance at the time on top of my phone screen. Class started nearly ten minutes ago.

Me
Aren't you already in class? My mom wants to spend the day with me so I'm gonna skip.

While I wait for him to text back, I set my phone on my bathroom counter and begin my morning routine of washing my face and doing my hair and makeup.