T W E N T Y

I've been listening to April and Peyton go on and on about how excited they are for the family lake trip next weekend for the past 20 minutes.

All the while, I've been lost in my own thoughts about Will.

When he held my hand on the Ferris wheel yesterday I became this squealing, overexcited teenage fangirl on the inside. Once the ride had ended, he had let go of my hand before we got off. Probably so our friends wouldn't see. But for the remainder of our time at the carnival, I was hyper aware of his every move. It was like I couldn't concentrate on anything not Will-related. And I had butterflies in my tummy the whole time. He didn't really treat me any different than normal though. He still stayed by my side and talked to me as if nothing had happened. And he didn't hold my hand again.

And then when I got home, I was alone and trapped in my own thoughts. I really had time to think things over. Which was when I came to this conclusion.

I do not want a boyfriend or anything similar.

I'm supposed to be just focusing on school and cheer and then maybe after college I'll be ready to take on dating.

"Katie. Earth to Katie." April waves a hand in front of my face. Shaking my head, I snap out of my own thoughts and turn to the girls.

"Huh?" I blink.

"Is everything okay?" Peyton asks suspiciously.

"Oh. Yes, I was just completely zoned out."

"Uh..." April lets out a breathy laugh. "Yeah, we kinda noticed. What's up?"

Because I am not in the mood for a lecture on love from the two of them, I decide to fib a little. "I was just thinking about the lake trip. I'm excited." I straighten my posture.

"We're gonna have so much fun! Just like always." Peyton squeals. Her phone dings and she unlocks her phone to read the text that is most likely from Wyatt. She laughs. "Katie, Wyatt says to invite him over to your house."

"...why?" I ask slowly.

"Because he wants to see me but doesn't want to crash girls night." She giggles and uses her fingers to put air quotes around 'girls night'.

"Well this isn't really girls night." I say. We finished up doing homework about an hour ago and after that we've just been laying around my living room, scrolling through our phones while Friends re-runs play on the tv and Peyton and April gossip. This is just us hanging out and being lazy. "He can come over." I shrug.

She types on her phone and then it dings again. "He wants to know if Mason and Will can come as well."

Do I really want to see Will right now? What if it's awkward? I mean he didn't seem awkward yesterday after it happened. But then again, neither did I. But I also really want to still be fiends with him. And I'll have to see him again at some point. Plus, if I say no it will seem suspicious to Peyton and April. My mind is made up.

"Yeah, that's fine."

Peyton types on her phone again and moments later it dings. "They're on their way. He said they'll be here in 10."

I immediately glance down to my appearance. Grey sweatpants and a black cheer tshirt. It's pretty similar to the attire that my best friends are currently clad in. There's not really any point in changing, it's just the guys coming over.

And Will.

I decided to just redo the messy bun on top of my head to make it slightly neater and clean up all of the wispies falling out of it.

Standing up, I stretch out my back with my arms up in the air. "I'm gonna go tell my mom that they'll be coming over."

"Kk."