Chapter Twenty Three

"How much longer do I have to maintain this magic?" I thought to myself.

Keeping the magic steady for as long as Luna asks me to is not that difficult once I get used to it. The problem is keeping my mind focus as this method requires staying still on one spot with eyes closed while heavily depending on 'Presence Detection' which I'm not used to doing. To keep my mind from wandering with this monotonous task, I'm humming a song in my head that also acts as my focus point.

"That's enough for today."

My eyes blink a few times when Luna's voice breaks my concentration, simultaneously discontinuing the flow of mana that sustains the light covering the circular area. The bright light swiftly diminishes and the tension on my legs finally loosen. Unfortunately, it causes me to stagger a few steps backwards as my legs wobble. Weird. This feels like the time I cast body enhancement magic onto myself, but the after-effect is mild. Is it because I'm making a conscious effort of controlling advanced-level magic that it drains my energy consumption rather than letting it flow freely similarly with 'Serenity' spell? Something like restraining an intangible substance and compressing it into a precise shape. When I think of it like that then it's understandable that action would burn up a lot of energy yet at the same time, it reduces the mana consumption rate.

Luna catches my slumping body from hitting the ground and speaks with a soft and calming voice. "Slowly. You will feel light-headed the first few times, eventually, it'll get better the more you practice."

Apart from momentarily losing my sense of balance, abruptly opening my eyes to the brightness before it completely vanishes is a careless move. Note to self, always make sure there's a pair of sunglasses with me for situations like this. Pretty sure there's one in the inventory amongst the many items Selene gave me. I close my eyes again and reopen them when I feel a touch above my eyes and a familiar warm sensation of someone's magic flow through me. My cleared-up line of sight naturally goes towards those tired yet keen pair of silver-coloured eyes. This is the second time for me witnessing Luna using magic properly. First is when purifying black mana leakage with light magic during the tainted monkey monster incident and now, she's checking the state of my body similarly to how Maya does it with recovery magic. Remembering what Lord Sol says about Luna, "rare dual magic wielder". At first, it doesn't make sense to me. A dual magic wielder is certainly not uncommon amongst elves who are essentially born with either or both water and wind attributes.

I get it now. Maya did say anyone can attain potion brewing skill under the guidance of a healer or anyone with the knowledge of medicinal herbs and with luck, they could use simple magic to heal minor wounds but it doesn't necessarily mean they have recovery magic. What's more, those who wield recovery magic, as well as light and darkness magic, are not as common as the four elements yet they are not sparse either that people would complain over the lack of personnel and talented individuals in the medicinal profession. And defying that statistic is the twin brother bestowed with three strong elemental attributes while the sister is born with healing magical properties and then, there's me. A single existence who's suddenly transported from a different world by the grace of the goddess. If this isn't my new reality, sounds like a plot of the gathering of powerful individuals in preparation for a much larger and unforeseen phenomenon. Inwardly shaking my head to dismiss these complicated thoughts and sigh deeply.

"How did I do?" I enquire after Luna removes her hand from my forehead.