39| THE PERSON HE LOVES THE MOST

Courtney agreed after I begged her for two days. She wasn't close to her father and didn't like him for what he did to her mother. I understand that completely but would everything be better if he died?

As long as he's away from Adeline and she gets to see the world and live her own life, Courtney could help us with Louis. I promised her that I would make sure her mom would be safe and far away from him.

I didn't regret allowing Adeline to leave the Pack Ground. Goddess knows how much she deserved and needed that. I just don't think I approached it correctly. It caused too many problems that directly affected the people I loved the most.

Jonathan went to pick Courtney up from the airport. She attends NYU and had to fly over. She wasn't staying long because she couldn't miss too much of school. We only had two days to try and fix everything. I feared that it may not be enough.

Edward was in his office. He basically locked himself up there just to keep busy with work. It was stressful for him and I know he wanted this plan to work out. I hated to even imagine what would happen if it didn't.

I knocked on his door and went inside. He sat behind his desk playing with a pen in his hand. He looked distracted and didn't even notice me. I walked over to him and leaned against his desk.

His hair fell in front of his eyes and I leaned in to push it aside. His eyes fell on me and he bit his lip. He was frustrated and we haven't talked much. Normally, we have good communication and when something is wrong we talk about it.

This time it was different because I felt ashamed. What kind of mate was I to him when I cause this kind of situation? I had hoped that after everything with my father that we could calm down but of course life kicked me in the butt again.

I don't want to blame it on life or anyone else because it is my own actions that caused this. But I sometimes feel like I'm not lucky. Ever since the day I was born, people close to me got hurt.

I lost my mom, my brother and almost my cousin. If I were to lose Edward, I don't know what I would do. The thought alone made me nauseous.

"I'm sorry", I apologised.

He frowned but I cupped his face.

"This is all my fault. I should've never sent Adeline away without talking to you about it first. I just wanted to help her and didn't think about the consequences",

"Cece-",

"I learned a lot while being Alpha. I had to start all over again, pick up the pieces that my father destroyed. That taught me that I had to think forward before doing anything. It's something I only learned recently",

Tears filled my eyes but I pushed them back. I didn't want to be emotional.

"I never wanted to put you in this position. To decide over the fate of your dad. I don't want you to go through that...", my voice broke and I cursed inwardly.

He was in a much more difficult position right now. Why was I crying? I was angry at myself because I didn't deserve to cry. Not when I created this entire mess.

"Cece, come here",

He pulled me in his lap and I laid my head against his neck. His cologne filled my nose and it calmed me down. He felt familiar and like home. Wherever he was, there was my home.

"You're blaming yourself too much",

"You don't have to be kind to me", I wiped my tears away.

He gave me a look and pushed a lock of my hair behind my ear.

"That's not what I'm trying to do. You acknowledged your fault but you are placing too much upon yourself. Everyone makes mistakes but only a few show true remorse. I'm not angry at you. Why should I be? You made a mistake and you're making up for it",