Chapter 16: Battle at the Cannon's Core

Previously...

As he fell down, he cast his wind shield to soften the impact. He then bounced on the cannon as he landed, nearly throwing him off. He requipped his bow to his sword, and latched on to the side. He held on to dear life, until Natsu ran over to him and gave him a hand. He pulled him up, and Ramza breathed a sigh of relief.

"Thanks man." Ramza said, "Now, how do we blow up this cannon?"

Currently...

Natsu lit up his fist in response and started to pound the front of the Phanom Lord cannon barrel. He grunted with each punch, but he made no dent in the metal.

"I'm barely scratching the surface!" Natsu growled.

"I guess we'll have to destroy it from the inside, huh?" Happy said.

"Hey, that's a good idea!" Ramza piped up.

The three of them dropped into the inside of the cannon, which elongated like a circular highway. They sprinted forward through the metal spirals, until they were met with a large hall that was surrounded by odd spheres. Each sphere had a different color, and a gigantic clear circular glass was in the middle of it all. A large clock was on the ceiling, and it ticked down by a minute.

"Eleven minutes until Jupiter fires." A woman's voice announced.

"They must be using that lacrima to collect magic energy." Happy realized.

"Yeah, but why would they need something as big as that?" Natsu wondered.

"It's probably to fire the cannon." Ramza said, "It's 'cause this cannon doesn't use regular ammo, they use magic power to fire!"

"So, that means we just destroy that thing, right?" Natsu clenched his fist.

"I can't allow that." Their eyes moved downwards, and they saw a man that was covered in a brown coat.

"A guard?" Ramza asked.

"Doesn't matter." Natsu shouted, "Anyone who gets in my way is going down!"

He then leaped down, fire fist aimed at the man. 

The man simply chuckled. "I don't think so."

"I don't care what you think, so get out of my way!" Natsu was suddenly hit by his own flaming punch that launched him sideways.

"Natsu! Why'd you hit yourself?" Happy asked, surprised.

"I didn't! My fist just went crazy!" Natsu shot back. He then redirected himself in the air, landing on the ground safely.

"What? How?" Ramza jumped down next to him.

"It seems to me that you're getting in your own way." The guard faced them. His hair was divided in two, each half either being white or black. He also had a streak on his face, and he wielded a sword at his side.

The clock ticked again. "Ten minutes until Jupiter fires."

"Move it, buddy! I've got a cannon to demolish." Natsu grit his teeth at the guard.

Happy flew next to them. "All you two have to do is to shatter the giant lacrima and it won't be able to fire anymore."

The guard snorted. "You can certainly try, but I won't let you."

The clock ticked once more. "Seven minutes until Jupiter fires."

"We're running out of time!" Ramza summoned his bow and notched an arrow.

"Let me do my thing!" Natsu lit up his hand, but he again punched himself.

"Natsu! Stop screwing around!" Ramza fired his arrow, but the guard just swiped it with his sword. "I guess arrows won't work here..."