Chapter 29 - Always will

Thursday

Thursday

Avan placed an arm around Senn's shoulder, pulling him closer while they followed Lucas towards the pond to sit down in the grass next to it. "I'm here for you, okay?"

"I know, thanks"

But this was more nerve-wracking than the moment he decided on telling Avan about his sexuality. Avan was important to him, but Lucas was a whole different deal. They had a weird friendship in which they could always, always tell each other everything. Yet, this secret had been buried for years. Senn had managed to keep it buried for as long as they had been friends, since Lucas was in fact his first guy crush. Never had it stood in between them.

And then came Elio.

He knew he couldn't keep it a secret any longer, and it felt suffocating to keep it hidden from Lucas, above all else. This needed to happen. He needed to come out to him.

But maybe it was best not to tell him he previously had a crush on him. Maybe that would be a bridge too far.

Lucas sat down in the grass, retrieving three cans of beer he picked up at home, and handed them each their own.

"So, you're ready to tell me the big secret? Or is this about something else?" Lucas casually asked, not looking at Senn while he sat down beside him.

"This is about the big secret," Senn confirmed, nodding his head even though Lucas wouldn't see it.

"Are you sure you want to tell? I don't want you to feel pressured. Like you said, you weren't ready."

"I don't think I'll ever be ready. But this has been building up inside me for a while already and I'm about to burst. I don't want you to be the last to find out because I keep spurting it out accidentally."

"That's... nice to hear," Lucas muttered, chuckling a bit. "But bro, I've got you, okay? You're my best friend—no offense Avan—"

"—none taken."

"and I will always be your best friend. Remember? No matter what?"

"Right, I remember," Senn replied with a nod. "So, hypothetically, even if I'd be gay, you'd still want to be my best friend?"

Lucas didn't laugh, which he would've done if he would know Senn was actually really joking. He remained silent for a short while, before he turned to look at Senn. "Seriously, I wouldn't care if you'd be telling me you'd be into purple-haired trolls. But is it really hypothetically?"

"Would you really accept me if I'd be dating a purple-haired troll?" Senn joked back, awkwardly chuckling while avoiding the real question. "You hate purple."

"That's how much fucks I give about who you like, Senn."

Senn let out a sigh in relief, since Lucas couldn't have responded in a more typically Lucas way. He really didn't care.