Chapter 13 ➛The Heart Remembers

Start from the beginning

''Where is he now?'' he asked him quietly, looking into his eyes with intensity. The man swallowed and said, ''He stayed behind. He beat me and ran off after I tried to pin him down, sir.''

Grindelwald's expression hardened and he made eye contact with them all, feeling their tension and anxiety. ''He has knowledge of our location of where we gather,'' he said quietly, his eyes gliding over their fearful faces.

But then a smile came to his lips and he watched them, ''Everyone makes mistakes. For now, we're done. I will call for you when I am in need of your service,'' he said as he balled his fists behind his back.

They watched him surprised before looking at each other, leaving one by one.

Robins might be gone, but he left something behind. And what was he supposed to do with it?

He turned to the big window and watched a bird soaring through the air.

And how was he going to tell you, that the only friend you've made, is the daughter of a traitor, and shall be sent away?

(Y/N)'s P.O.V

As I neared the office, I saw four people walking down the corridor. They all looked at me as I passed, their expressions a mix of curiosity and blame. My brow furrowed in confusion as I watched them proceed, mumbling to each other as they went.

They came from his office, that much was clear. And for a moment I hesitated if I should bother him, knowing he must've probably gotten some bad news. However, my curiosity and selfish reasons overwhelmed my sense of compassion and I knocked on the door as I entered, not bothering to wait for a reply.

He was standing in front of the window, hands joined behind his back. ''Aren't you supposed to be resting?'' he asked as he slowly turned to me and watched me stoically.

''I'm feeling fine. I don't need to rest,'' I replied as I watched him curiously. There was a silence before he asked, ''What can I do for you?''

I snapped out of my trance and watched him hesitantly. ''I want to know what happened. With my mother. With you," I said hesitantly, scanning his face for a reaction.

His hard expression faltered momentarily as he heard me use those words. However, he quickly recovered and watched me with a raised eyebrow. ''What do you want to know?''

I took a deep breath as I looked away. ''Everything,'' I said softly as I glanced at him. His expression had returned to the emotionless gaze he usually had. Most thought he had no feelings. I, however, knew that it was merely a mask.

I sighed and looked into his eyes. ''You know, you don't have to be a hard ass with me,'' I said softly as our eyes locked. I saw a glimmer of hesitation in his eyes before his expression softened somewhat.

I asked him a lot of questions, most of which he had no answer to himself. ''Why didn't she tell you?'' He shrugged and said, ''I don't know.''

Then there was another silence as we watched each other. There had been a topic I had been too afraid to bring up. Mostly because I might not want to know the truth.

But then my curiosity overwhelmed me and I asked him anyway. ''You know that woman that captured me?'' I sounded uncertain, afraid he might not believe me or send me away. ''Lillian Walker?'' he said softly as his eyebrows raised in surprise.

I took a breath and rubbed my eyes. ''She- she told me something when I was at the Ministry,'' I said softly as I looked up at him again. A hint of curiosity flashed across his face. ''What?''

I swallowed and said, ''She said she's my half-sister.'' He closed his eyes in annoyance and looked up at the ceiling. ''I hate that woman,'' he mumbled.

I watched him confused. ''You mean it's true?'' My breath hitched as his gaze returned to me and he nodded curtly. ''But she's like your age,'' I blurted out incredulously. ''She also told me that she took me from her at birth. But how can this be possible?''

My mind was having a hard time processing this and as he opened his mouth I sat down, knowing that at one point my legs would fail me. But instead of explaining, he halted and watched me concerned before he caught himself and returned to his former expression.

''Naomie was assaulted when she was fifteen. She got pregnant,'' he said. His voice was soft, however, I noticed the pain behind his eyes. ''She gave birth to Anne, or, Lillian. But she couldn't care for her, so she gave her up. It broke her heart.''

I watched him with tears in my eyes and anger bubbled up in my stomach as I realized what this person had done. ''Where is he?'' I asked him as my brows furrowed in anger, fighting the tears, not wanting to look weak before him.

''He's in the ground. After I found out what happened to her. What he did to her. I killed him,'' he stated as he scanned my face. It softened slightly, but the anger didn't completely dissolve.

''But that's still not possible. It doesn't make any sense,'' I whispered as I watched him confused. He sighed, which surprised me a bit. He had been so emotionless all the time.

''I hate to say this out loud, but she has a time-turner. She came to the past to take you from your mother before she...'' His voice faltered, as did his breathing. I thought I saw sadness in his eyes as he relived the memories. He cleared his throat before he continued, ''Before she killed her.''

I blinked, my mind going hazy. ''She killed her?'' He nodded and watched me momentarily before he took a step toward me. ''We separated because I put her in danger. I was starting to rise to power and I was making some real enemies. So we decided, for her safety, to go our separate ways before people would use her against me,'' he explained softly.

''But if I had known she was pregnant,'' there was a glint in his eyes and I wondered if he was about to cry. The information I had to process was too much for now. ''What was she like?'' I asked him with a smile.

He swallowed before he took a deep breath and started, ''She was so kind, cheerful and loving toward everyone. Even the people that hurt her. She was beautiful, especially her eyes. They were always filled with warmth and love.'' His eyes twinkled as he stared at the wall behind me. ''She loved flowers, nature...and children.'' His eyes glided down to me.

''We might not have a father-daughter relationship...''

''Yet,'' I cut him off with a smile. He watched me with a knowing look before he continued. ''But I promise, that I will do anything within my power to protect you. I might've lost her, but I won't lose you,'' he said as his hands joined behind his back once more.

I watched him with a smile as I wiped the tears out of my eyes. ''Thanks, dad.'' It was meant as a joke, but the look on his face made my breath hitch. The surprise and shock etched into his features made me regret it. ''Sorry, it was meant to be a joke,'' I said apologetically.

He looked down at me, and then...he smiled. Surprise overtook me, however, a smile quickly came to my own lips and we were just grinning at each other stupidly. 

''Go. I have a lot to do,'' he said as he waved me away with faked annoyance.