May I Have this dance?

Start from the beginning

"Show me" Kurt walked up to Maria

"Oh Kurt I haven't danced since I was a little girl"

"Please" he begged

"Oh alright" she reached for his hand "now you bow and I curtsey and now we go for a little walk this way." Maria guided him through the steps. Brigitta noticed her father walk out just as they had begun, Liesl noticed as well but pretended not to.

"Like this?" Kurt was a bit nervous

"Fine" Maria assured

After a few more moments

"Uh may I?" The Captain asked patting his son on the shoulder. Kurt walked backwards to join his siblings as he didn't want to miss anything.

Liesl thought about how it was nice that they laughed if they messed up and seemed so natural

Friedrich was amazed, as this was typically out of character for his father to be so bold.

Louisa gazed as she watched them dance so easily and hoped they were thinking what she wanted them to be.

Kurt was firstly frustrated that his father cut in, but ultimately found it nice to watch and was a little taken aback as he noticed different things after his conversation with his siblings.

Brigitta was unbearably jittery she wanted to shout from the rooftops about how obviously in love they were and how she absolutely had to do something about it.

Marta thought they looked like a prince and princess they heard of in stories.

Gretl didn't understand why her father acted so differently around the baroness and Maria compared to everyone else.

The waltzed and Maria was at first shocked yet at the same time she relaxed. They had grown so much into good friends. It was lovely to dance and twirl and get lost in his eye-then it hit her. This was too nice. She got a funny feeling in her stomach and the more she looked at the Captain the more she couldn't handle it.

The Captain was pleased. Elsa was so strict, but even though this was not perfect it was still graceful. Maria might not have had the most ravishing party grown yet she still had an air about her that radiated. The Captain was enjoying himself, more than he cared to admit and as he looked at her, thinking about leaning in she broke the moment by speaking.

"I don't remember anymore" she stepped away

"Your face is all red" Brigitta blurted

"Is it? I guess I'm not used to dancing"

The Captain and Maria stared still and the children watched on the edge of their seats. Friedrich and Liesl shared a knowing look.

"Why that was beautiful" Baroness Schrader interrupted. The children's heads snapped towards her as no one had noticed her arrival "What a lovely couple you make"