24 Follow My Lead

Start from the beginning

I'm waiting out front for Jace and frown as he pulls up on his crotch rocket. He holds out a jacket and helmet for me.

"Really?" I ask. He just grins. "Can that thing even handle a passenger?"

"Shut up and suit up," he groans, petting his bike.

I hop on behind him and he hits the throttle hard, causing me to hold on tight. His bike was peppy and fast and he fully intended to show me just how much. After a short warp journey we pulled off and went down an overgrown gravel path.

He parked at the water's edge of what looked like it could have been an old construction site. The vegetation was overgrown but there were assorted concrete blocks like the ones you see used as barricades. The clearing was grassed over gravel and there was a sand pit and pile to the side.

"What are we doing here?" I asked, feeling uneasy.

"Your final exam," he replied as he took off his helmet and jacket draping them on the bike. I followed suit, but the uneasy feeling only grew.

'He's off? Hasn't called you elf once.' 'I know, I feel like something's wrong.'

"Why here though?" I ask in a guarded tone.

"No distractions," he says with a frown. "Listen Jess," he said like he was trying to soften a blow. "Normally I would have had years to teach someone what you've learned in such a short time. You have a lot of natural talent, but this," he says tapping on my head, "gets in the way."

"I really am trying," I mumble, defeated.

"I know you are," he said sadly. "And you're doing so well, but we're running out of time. I have to prepare you for worst case scenarios, so you don't freeze. If push comes to shove and you panic, you could die and I just can't have that." The pain and concern in his voice was sobering.

"So what do I need to do for the exam?" I ask, trying to change the topic. He grabbed my hand and dragged me to the far side of the blocks.

"Make it to my bike, or knock me out," he said stoically. I just gaped, I can't knock him out. "This is the real deal Jess, no safe words, no pause. The only way to end it is to tag my bike."

Something about the way he was saying it, and the way he was acting was really setting my nerves off. His regular demeanor was gone, he felt like a stranger.

"I can't beat you," I said in disbelief.

"Better try, 'cause we're not leaving till you do," he said as his expression hardened.

"Jace, you're the beta for fucks sake," I snap. "This is ridiculous." I go to walk away but he pushes me back. "The fuck man, I'm not doing this."

"Yes Jess, you are, I'm not your friend right now so do what you're told and it will be over," he growled. His energy shift and words sent a cold shiver down my spine.

I tried to push past him once more but he threw me back. My eyes locked on his cold grey ones as I realized he wasn't asking. He's been off this whole time, the only way away was through.

I went to push through once more and the moment he grabbed for me I dropped and twisted out of his grip and began to sprint. He tackled me hard from behind crushing me on the ground below him.

I hissed in pain at the impact as his weight drove the air from my lungs. I squirmed trying to wiggle out from below but he just put more of his weight on me.

"Come on sugar, you're better than this," he whispered. I froze as a chill ran through me. My ex used to call me sugar while he would beat and molest me.