16 He's Not Yours

Everything will smooth out after my dad goes on his cruise. As much as I love him, the timing was bad for a surprise visit. I was really stressing out trying to keep up with the schedule Chris put me on for training on top of normal home life.

Hell I haven't even seen Chris since dinner with Eric on thursday. Dad has wanted to spend all the time he can together before he leaves. Considering it's been six months since his last visit, I did too.

Today was the day though, I dropped off the produce for Trish at the market came home and helped my dad pack. By two in the afternoon we were on the road and by three I was saying good bye.

I have to get back to the pack house for training tonight, I think with Jude. And then head out to Curtis's farm to be there first thing for harvest. After that I can focus on prep work for conference.

Bzz.

"Hey," I answer the call, on my way back home.

"Everything go ok?" Jace asks.

"Yeah, I just watched his plane take off and just on the highway now."

"You still swinging by?" He asks.

"Yeah, should be there by four, I have Jude tonight?" I ask looking for clarification.

"Jude and Chris got called to New Moon, not sure when they'll be back so you're stuck with me tonight."

"Go easy on me teach, it's been a long day. I have to hit up Doc once I get there, but I'll find you right after," I say.

"Everything good?" He asks, concern clear in his voice

"Yeah just running low on my headache meds. Bye Jace," I cut off his snooping.

"Later elf, don't dawdle."

"Right Beta."

He can be such a dork sometimes.

-----

"Hey Claire," I greet walking into the kitchen. She smiles warmly at me.

"The boys will be back in a couple hours," she says finishing up her work for dinner.

"So I need to hit up Doc, can you come with?" I ask innocently.

"Oh, well dinner is soon," she tries to deflect.

"Oh we've got the rest, everything's pretty much done, go ahead," Kate says as I flash her a triumphant smile.

We walk over to the pack hospital in silence, Claire looks less and less comfortable the closer we get.

"What is it?" I ask.

"What if he says I can't -"

"Nope, we're not playing the what if game, this pack can only handle one neurotic person and I beat you to it," I cut in. She lets out a tight laugh as we walk up to the reception desk.

"Is Doc free? I just want to get some refills and ask a question or two?" I ask the nurse.

"Of course Luna, why don't you get comfortable in that room there," she says with a smile.

"Everything okay Luna?" Doc asks, walking into the room with a concerned look on his face.

"Yeah, I just need refills. Claire?" I prompt.

"I-I um," she stammers as I grab her hand for support but she shuts down.

"Can you run a pregnancy test for her? She's been feeling off lately, so something has changed." He looks skeptical at first but quickly nods and grabs some stuff to draw blood.