9 I Hate Mornings

The sun streams in the open window as Chris stirs under me.

"No," I mumbled in protest. "It's too early, stay with me."

He just chuckles running a hand across my bare, exposed back. "I'll be right back," he whispers. "Go back to sleep."

Despite my protests, he pulls away and kisses me lightly before throwing on a pair of sweatpants and slips out the door. I stay on my stomach and snuggle into his pillow, nodding off to the breezes gentle caress on my skin.

Somewhere half-asleep I barely hear someone come in. I almost don't feel the hair stand up on the back of my neck in warning until it's too late.

On instinct, I flip over clutching the blankets to me as chaos erupts. My elbow catches someone in the mouth as I bring my knees to my chest kicking him back across the room. He slams into the dresser cursing as he hits the floor.

Terror grips me as I reel trying to make sense of things. So many people are spilling in and wrestling as shouts and growls ring out.

The man I kicked recovers and staggers to his feet, a murderous look in his eyes as he wipes the blood from his mouth. He snarls as he stalks towards me, eyes locked on me. I scurry back, desperate for space and unable to break his stare.

Chris roars at the door as he tries to break through the men with Jude at his side. With a final push, they make it through tumbling to the floor.

"What is the meaning of this!?" A woman's voice cuts through the chaos as everyone freezes.

"She assaulted me, I'm taking her into custody!" the murderous man growls.

"Is that so?" The woman asks quietly, her outward demeanour is calm, but make no mistake she is dangerous. My wide eyes are locked on her as she decides my fate. My heart threatenss to burst through my chest at any moment.

"You can see it with your own eyes, she drew this blood," he spits, wiping his bloody lip and showing her his hand.

Her cold blue eyes narrow at him as she looks around. She isn't particularly tall, her short silver-grey hair stands out in sharp contrast to her purple and black uniform. Light wrinkles line her face, but the woman is fierce and dangerous, of that I'm sure.

"Do not forget to whom you are addressing," she warns dangerously. His anger tempers immediately as he apologizes.

"What I see is a terrified woman in her bed defending herself from you!" Her anger and energy is nauseating as she rips into him. "It is clear that you assaulted her first, so should we be placing you in custody?"

"B-but I was just carrying out orders," he stammers as the colour drains from his face.

"I was there when the orders were issued, you were to talk to the Alpha and Luna here, not sneak into their bedroom like some degenerate! When you wear that uniform you are a representative of this council and will accord yourself to the highest standard." She has gathered herself but her energy still seethes barely in control. "All of you, outside!"

Her eyes narrows at my attacker. "I will deal with you later," she growls.

"Go," she says to Chris as she nods to me. Everyone else leaves the room except for herself and Jude. Chris is on the bed in an instant wrapping me in his protective embrace.

"Apologizes, I'm speechless. Please take a moment and meet me downstairs, we have things to discuss." Her tone is sincere but formal, I couldn't help the sense of dread that hangs over me.

With that she heads out with Jude, closing the door and leaving me and Chris alone. I let out a shaky breath as I tremble in his arms.

"I'm so sorry baby, I had no idea he was up here." I could feel the emotions rolling off of him. Concern but mostly anger, though worry was creeping up.