Chapter 3

Ali (POV)

"We have to stay quiet for a few days, and then we'll attack again" my father says " your right abu Ali it will draw attention to us if we attack the French base again" abu Hassan replies "and I'll talk to the men and make sure no one attacks or kill any French soldiers" I say

Abu Hassan looks at me and says " my son Ali if you don't mind letting the women know it time for me and my niece to go it's getting late " and my father says " come on a abu Ali stay a bit longer I'm sure your niece is enjoying her self with my daughter " abu Ali laughter and says to my father " I'm sure your right but still it's getting late" my dad an abu Ali gets up and I do so to and go to the women.

I knock on their door and my mother comes out " yes son do you need anything " I smile and say " abu Ali wants to leave, if you don't mind letting his niece know" and she replies " she's with your sister upstairs probably in her room" I look up then back to my mother "ok I'll go and let them know you stay mama" I go upstairs and just as I was knocking the door to my sisters room it's left ajar I look and see my sister and Fatima sitting on the bed and chatting my sisters back is to the door and fatima is facing the door suddenly she giggles and looks up smiles and looks down shyly.

I knock on the door my sister comes and Fatima covers her face "do you need anything brother" she says and I reply " abu Ali and his niece are leaving " she pouts and says " ohh ok I'll get Fatima for you " and she goes back inside and I wait.

The door opens and fatima comes out and I walk ahead of her we walk past my sister room and just when we get next my room she drops her bag.

I get down to help her pick up what fell then walk down the stairs and I say to her " I hope you forgive me for what I did earlier I didn't mean to get angry at you" she just ignores me and doesn't say anything

We get to the door and her uncle is waiting for her, she walks past me and leaves " thank you so much for having us tonight have a good night" her uncle abu Hassan says " it was our pleasure to have you and your niece " my dad replies then abu Ali leaves.

I say my goodnights to everyone and go up to my room, I open the door as I enter I feel I stepped on something I look down and see it is a paper I pick it up and see it is a letter, I close the door sit on my bed and read it.

"bismillah alrahman alraheem dear Ali I sitting alone in your living room writing this letter to tell you I am not mad with you or your sister but I would be lying if I tell you I am not upset with what happened because you know it is haram to see my face and yet you asked your sister to get me to see you without letting me know,

I hope for you and your sister not to repeat it and put me in the same position because know it is haram.

also, I would like to thank you for the art supplies you got me, you didn't have to but again thank you.

your censer Fatima''

then I suddenly her shooting and it sounds close to us in our town I get down and open the door and see a guy with a covered face running and opens the door to Abu Hassan's house and enters the house and closes the door.

I hear running footsteps, I close the door and open just a little to see who's running and French army soldiers.

but continue running because they didn't see the guy entering the house.

I wait a few minutes then get out and go to Abu Hassan's house, I knock on the door but no one answers that's weird I knock again and I hear Fatima's voice " yes who's there"

I get shocked who just entered the house I know that Hassan is out of the town for a few months " Salam sister it's me Ali I was wondering if your uncle is home "

she replies "no his at the cafe brother" this is so weird " ok sister because I just saw a man enter your house if you don't mind me entering to check the house I don't want something to happen to you"

she replies " no there's no one I'm telling you it's only me and you can't enter the house it's only me and I don't know when my uncle is coming back"

I am really shocked to what's going on " ok sister I won't enter the house alone wait ill go get my mother or sister to get inside with me because I know what I saw and that's a guy entering your house"

I just leave run to my house and call out for my mother but my sister comes "what's wrong Ali is everything ok" I answer her " I honestly don't know Zahra but I need you to run get dress and wear your burka "

she looks at me shocked and asks " why where are we going whats going on"

I answer her " stop asking questions just go get dressed were going to Abu Hassan's house and there's only Fatima " and she rushes to her room.

I rush to abu hassans house I knock on the door and Fatima answers " yes who is it"

I answer her "it's me again I have my sister please open the door "

the door unlocks and I wait for a few seconds and enter " Zahra you go to which ever room she's in and have a look around without her noticing and if you see anything weird let me know"

I am checking in every room and there's nothing weird I couldn't find anyone or anything I go near the women and knock on the room door that they are in.

"I checked in every room but there was nothing "are you sure you didn't see anyone entering the house"

Fatima replies " thank you for checking but I told you no one entered the house but me " I stay quiet because I'm speechless

" ok then but if you do notice anything weird don't hesitate to come to our house please and Zahra lets go home"

the door opens and my sister comes out " ok Salam Alaikum have a good night don't worry ill close the door after us " she thanks us and we leave and I make sure I close the door

sitting in my room with my sister talking " did you notice anything weird, Zahra "

she replies " nothing in the room but I noticed when she's sitting down that she's wearing men pants and shoes under her kalbelia"

"why would she be wearing men pants and shoes unless she the men I saw entering the house" she looks at me surprised

'' yes thats it makes more sense you said the men had a key to enter and we went straight away and there was no one else in the house and her wearing the pants proves it's her but Ali we can't tell anyone about this will put her life in danger" my sister says

"Yes your right well keep what happened a secret between us but make sure you don't bring the subject with her and I'll try to talk to her and get her to stop attacking the French because if they get her they will kill her"  I reply

My sister goes to her room to sleep and I just lay down on my bed thinking.