Chapter 2: The Warning

The palace doors were enormous. I looked up and began to casually walk up the steps when suddenly, two guards blocked my way with their spears.

"What do you think you're doing?", one of them asked.

"I have to see the Fire Lord", I said.

They chuckled as if I had told them something funny.

"Yeah okay. If you wish to see the Fire Lord you must wait your turn like everyone else. We will send you a letter with the day and time you may see him. They take approximately 3 months to process and then you'll see from there.", the guard responded.

"Three months just to receive a letter? What is it, made out of gold? Look, this is urgent! I demanded.

     The men stared at me with blank looks on their faces. I rolled my eyes and began to walk away from the palace. They were never going to let me in. Of course, I wouldn't blame them, anyone could get in with that excuse. I'm pretty sure people have tried to use it before. I had to sneak in.

     I got back to my house and Raza was still nowhere to be found. As I closed the door behind me, I saw his dear mother in the kitchen making dumplings and rice. She had no clue what her son had been doing.

"Suma." I said to her.

She turned around and smiled at me.

"Hello darling. Have you seen Raza? I feel like I haven't seen him since the Fire Festival. Poor Raza, must be working so hard.", she smiled as she served me food.

I didn't know how to tell her without hurting her. It would probably give her a heart attack and kill her. Raza was her only child; it would destroy her to know what he's been up to.

"I haven't seen him.", I lied.

"Oh dear, you must miss him too", she caressed my cheek.

"Suma, what would you do if someone you were close with wanted to harm the Fire Lord?", I asked bluntly.

She looked at me confused.

"You know someone who wants to harm the Fire Lord?", she asked.

"N-no! No. It's just a question.", I responded.

She sat down in front of me and said,

"Fire Lord Zuko is an amazing leader. There hasn't been peace in the Fire Nation for decades. The hundred year war is finally over, and it's all because the young man believed in love and peace and balance. Anyone who would try to harm that poor young man is a maniac and should be turned into the authorities."

She had no idea who I was even talking about. Had she known...
I sighed.
I placed my head in my hands and she could tell I was stressing out about something and became weary.

"What is it Shei? Who is trying to hurt the Fire Lord? Who are you trying to protect?"

"It's nobody Suma, really. I just know a friend who asked me the same question and I wasn't able to answer. You know, it's a tough thing to do. What if they're your family, you know?", I responded.

"Sweetheart, the one who is family and has that much hatred in their hearts needs to be stopped before they bring destruction. It is not only for the world's good, but it's for their good.", she said.

"Now, eat up. Your dumplings are getting cold. Should I save some for Raza?"

"Um, I don't know. I'm not sure when he'll be back. He said he'd be gone for a few days before he left. Remember, he's one of the best fruit and vegetable sellers in the Fire Nation and the cart is pretty big. He must be making multiple stops", I responded.