Chapter 11. Making Contact

Back at the high school, students, teachers and other police officers remained in the gymnasium. Casey sits on the bleachers with her friends and begins bragging about not doing anything in classes all day. "Oh my gosh!" She said. "This is the best day of school in like forever!" "I know right?" Said one of her friends. "I mean, I was supposed to take a stupid test today, and then THIS happens like all of a sudden!" Casey looks at all of the police officers all around the gym. "Why are all these policemen even here? She asked. "There's some type of emergency or something going on." Said another one of her friends. "I heard from my boyfriend Kevin that the police claim that we are under attack by some sort of vicious animal, and that they're trying to kill it." "That's what I've heard!" Said a third. "I've also heard that it killed one of the policemen who just started working at the police department." Casey's eyes widened. "What did you say?" She asked. "It killed a young policeman." One of her friends repeated. Casey looks around the gym again and her friends noticed her face and begins to worry about her. "Is something wrong Casey?" One asked. She quickly leaves her friends behind and starts running to one of the officers. "Excuse me!" She said. The officer turns around. "Yes?" He asked. "Um hi." Casey said nervously. "Um my name is Casey Smith and um, do you know anyone named Billy Smith at the police department?" "We sure do." Said the policeman. "Are you a relative of his Miss?" "He's my older brother." Said Casey. "Anyway um, you know where he is right now?" "I'm sorry." Said the policeman. "I haven't seen him in a few hours since we all left the office." Casey becomes worried about her brother and sits back down on the bleachers alone. Later, Bain, Smith, and Maxwell came into the gym and then went on the stage once again to make another announcement. Maxwell turns on the microphone. "May I have your attention?" He said. "Everyone may now go on home at this time. If you're  needed to be picked up by someone, please go to the attendance window and call whoever you need to call to pick you up. The rest of you, have a safe trip home. That'll be all. Thank you." Maxwell walks off the stage. Before leaving the gym, Casey quickly runs to officer Smith. "Billy!" She yelled. "Thank god you're okay! I thought you were dead!" Unfortunately, Smith didn't seem too happy to see his younger sister. "I'm busy." He said. He walks away. Casey then becomes angrily confused. "What's wrong with you!" She yelled. She turns around and gets her things back from the bleachers. "Jerk." She continued softly. Meanwhile, Eric, Cody, and Angela get their things together to head home. They still wonder what all the fuss was about. "Hey Eric." Said Cody. "I've heard that it was some sort of monster that was out there." "Cut it out Cody." Said Eric. "I'm not in the mood for your jokes right now." "I'm not joking." Said Cody. "I'm actually serious. I've been hearing them girls that were next to us the whole time talking about it. They said it killed one of the police officers." Angela becomes afraid. "What kind of monster?" She asked nervously. "I don't know." Said Cody. "Some scary animal I guess." Eric suddenly remembered that he had crashed his Camaro into a ditch earlier and saw something strange behind him. "You know," he said. "I never thought I'd say this, but you might actually be right." "How's that?" Asked Cody. "I got my car stuck in a ditch this morning on my way to school and something pulled me out. It lifted up my car and dragged it backwards." Angela didn't know what Eric was talking about. "When I looked at my rearview mirror," Eric continued. "I couldn't get a good look, but I think I saw some eyes. When I got out of my car to get a better look thought, they were gone.