one.

———

———

June, 2010

   I love surprising people. It's so joyous to see the look of shock on their faces when they weren't expecting to see you standing in front of them. I always used to surprise my friends, whether it be showing up to see James working at his dad's shop or going to lunch at Maria's parents restaurant on the days she helped out.

   Speaking of James, Maria, Kath and Mikey, they don't even know the real reason I'm currently in Birmingham. As far as they know, I'm here to visit my cousin and her husband. I've sort of kept Liam a secret since summer 2008 when we met, not feeling the need to tell them every little detail of my life. Plus, he lives all the way in England so I highly doubt they'd ever even meet him.

"Georgia Rose! What on Earth are you doing here?!" Liam exclaims as I walk into the hotel room, following his mother after she picked me up from the airport.

   He lifts me up when he hugs me, seeming so excited that I'm here. He is a lot taller now than he was two years ago so he lifted me quite far. His shoulders are a bit more broad, his hair grown out some more. The only thing that hasn't changed since I last saw him in person is his smile and the way his eyes light up to show his happiness.

"You think my best friend is going to one of the most important auditions of his life and I'm just going to miss it?" I question as he puts me back down and I stand in front of him, having to look up a little due to our new height difference.

   I planned this whole thing out with Aunty K once Liam told me he had his audition on the X-Factor coming up again. Two years ago when he got rejected, I told him he would crush it, so now that I'm given the opportunity to see it live, how could I just not come?

"This is the best surprise ever." Liam's smile is permanently drawn on his face as he gives me another quick hug.

   Karen, Liam and I all start talking, mostly them asking me about how prepared I am to move to London in four weeks. I think Liam was glad the conversation wasn't about him because I get the feeling he's slightly nervous about his audition later today. The conversation is interrupted by the rest of Liam's family, his two sisters and dad, entering the room.

Liam is quick to introduce us, this being the first time I'm meeting the rest of his family in person. "Georgia- I mean Hayley," Liam corrects himself for the sake of the introduction, "these are my sisters, Nicola and Ruth, and my dad, Geoff."

"It's very nice to finally meet you, Hayley." Nicola says as she catches me off guard by pulling me in for a hug.

"Nice to meet you too." I say with a smile, hugging her back. Ruth and Geoff do the same, giving me the impression that it's not just Liam who likes to hug people, but his whole family as well.

   We only had half an hour until our planned time to leave the hotel in order to get to the LG Arena, where Liam would be performing.

   Once we arrived there, I wished Liam good luck, reminding him that he is absolutely talented and if it doesn't go as planned, he promised me he wouldn't kiss me again when I comfort him.