18_Blissful Adventure

Începe de la început

At the moment, my attention drifted back to Paege who indulged Bell in a trade of County fair stories, rather enthusiastically might I add.

Little Foot's very own county fair was fast approaching and the topic created a buzz all around town rendering others just as jazzed about the event as they were. There were games, rides and even a dance that commemorated the event. So naturally, they were swept up in the excitement.

I studied the two, helping myself to another Beef Quesadilla, taking a bite and groaning appreciatively while shaking my head. Bell was so animated as she prattled about the games and the rides, and the obstacle courses that usually accompanied the County Fair and Paege mirrored her eagerness.

Bell and Paege hadn't known each other that long but anyone can see how close they had become. It was not difficult to see why they got along: finishing each other's sentences, sharing inside jokes and their love of food, horses and even the occasional prank. It was almost like they were soul sisters.

Not even my ex had warmed up to Bell and my parents to that extent. They got along cordially but there was always an underlying tension that seemed to thread the moments when brought her to meet, my family. But try as I might, to get them to warm up to her, it all proved futile in the end.

She could sense that there was some kind of wall dividing them but we continue in our attempts because we were engaged after all. If we were to really work as a couple, she would have to come to some level of understanding with my family as they were important to me.

All that time and energy had clearly been a waste.

Glancing at Paege yet again, I couldn't help the feeling that seized my chest.

Without even trying, she had somehow managed to coax my family completely under her spell. Their connection bordered on ridiculous to the degree that sometimes I could hardly decipher whether my family liked her more than they did me. They were willing to protect and defend her at a moment's notice.

"Really?" A voice squealed in excitement prompting me to cast my gaze around the table before setting my sights on Paege to find her looking up at me expectantly.

My eyebrow cocked in question, waiting for her to counting.

"You've held the highest rank for the longest time two years in a row?" Paege gushed like an awestruck teen, her eyes opened to saucers and her mouth held a goofy open-mouthed grin that caused me to chuckle.

"Yes," I offered.

"That's amazing!" She beamed, almost jumping out of her skin, genuinely eager to know more about my extracurricular activities. "Why haven't you mentioned it before?"

"He's modest," Mom interjected. Her eyes holding a knowing glint as she chuckled at Paege's enthusiasm.

"That's right," Bell managed while chewing on her Quesadilla. "When he wants to be."

"Bell," Dad sighed, touching the bridge of his nose while shaking his head in mock resignation, causing mom, Paege and the others to erupt in laughter.

"What, Dad?" She chewed and swallowed the remaining piece to clear her passage before she spoke again. "Can you honestly blame me?"

They were well used to her episodes by now.

"This is amazing," With a wide sweep of her hands, she gestured to the dishes laid across the table courtesy of our father.

"She's right, Boss," Will could barely manage amidst the Creamy Fettucine. "This is really good."

"Kiss up," A.J. scoffed a friendly jab, causing the others to erupt in laughter, earning a wide grin from Willy despite the mouthful of Fettucine he had gathered in a heap and stuffed into his mouth earlier. "But it is though, Mr. A."

"That's one of the main reasons I married him," A smile tugged at the ends of Mom's lips and a mischievous glint entered her eyes as she gazed at Dad.

"Ok, ok. That's enough attention for an old sap. Besides, tonight is about my wife who stood by me for many years. I count my blessings that she gave an old wrinkle the time of day. We can both agree that it hasn't been easy but she has managed to make it the best ride of my life."

"Awwww," Paege gushed, just as my hand found hers under the table, filling the gaps. Her fingertips brushed against the back of my hand, sending a quiver through my body.

"To my wife," Dad raised his glass to mom, initiating a toss.

"To Mrs. A," The men added, one after the other, followed by Paege.

"To mom," Bell and I raised our glasses in unison then a round of cheers followed, causing my mother to blush despite herself.

"Thank you all," She began. "This ranch would not be the place it is without each and everyone present with us tonight. Your resolve and hard work are really invaluable to us. I raise my glass to all of you."

The men nodded in respect, sporting proud smiles.

Mom raised her glass, gesturing to the men then she glanced between Bell and me, her smile widening as she looked over us with pride. "To my son and daughter who are emeralds to me, I love you and I could not be prouder of your passions and accomplishments."

"Awwwweee, mom don't make me cry," Bell cried, dabbing at the corners of her eyes. 

Mom broke into a giggle, shaking her head at my sister's antics while Dad shook his head, casting his gaze heavenward in mock annoyance.

"Thanks, mom," I chuckled for nothing less than my sister's innovations.

Her eyes settled on Paege with the warmest smile yet. "I want nothing more than for you to know that you mean the world to us. We see you and we love you. I wish nothing but many years of blissful adventure to you and Danny,"

"Thank you, Mrs. A," Paege gushed and I pulled her into my side, wrapping my arm around her shoulder in appreciation.

Paege and I had grown closer over the course of the next couple of weeks, and naturally, neither Bell nor my parents had missed a beat.

They'd all been hinting at the wedding march, even though we'd only known each other for a short time, and not so subtly either, much to Paege's embarrassment.

Though, I couldn't exactly say that I hadn't imagined a future where that was a distinct possibility.

I had been engaged to my ex for well over a few months when the facade of our devotion had disintegrated into smithereens and along with it, our illusion of love.

It wouldn't be completely farfetched if the idea had crossed my mind, once, even twice.

But, even if we had known each other only briefly, I had never felt a fraction of what I felt Paege.

Paege challenged me in the best ways and allowed me to breach her carefully constructed walls.

Somehow, she managed to get under my skin.

Clearly, it was visible for all to see.

Mom pressed a kiss to my father's cheek, "And to my husband who has given me many wonderful years so far, you know there are fewer things I treasure than your companionship."

Paege hugged me tighter just then, looking over my family with a gleam in her eyes.

I could definitely get used to this.

○○○ Don't forget to VOTE, COMMENT and SHARE.○○○