40.

I was sitting on the chair, listening to the lies piling out of my mother's mouth. I was shaking, so angry at her.

"It's just a big misunderstanding. Elizabeth lives in a fantasy world. She ran away from home weeks ago. Didn't tell me that she was safe, her whereabouts even and then I get confronted by my neighbour, stating Elizabeth was pressing charges against her son for rape, of all things!" My mother babbled. She is making me out to be a liar. Telling the guidance counsellor that I make things up. "She is meant to be medicated and since she ran from home, Elizabeth isn't taking her mess, now she is confused between fantasy and reality."

Diane hummed as my mother spoke. I can't believe she is believing her!

"And the police records? The photographs of her being beaten?" Diane asked my mother, Savannah.

"Elizabeth was always  troubled one. She probably lost in a fight and not letting that bruise her ego, blaming it on the next person she saw."

I looked at my apparent mother in shock. The words I was trying to say wouldn't form together.

"She has always been a loner."

"What of her friends? These past few weeks, Elizabeth has flourished socially."

Mum scoffed then. "Friends?" She air quoted. "They are imaginary. Elizabeth has been missing for weeks." Then it happened. It surprised me. Mum was crying. "I've been looking for Elizabeth for weeks. She is unstable. I need to take her now, take her to the doctors. Get her back on her medication. Can we have a word first, in private?"

Immediately, Diane jumped at the opportunity. "Of course. Just give me a second to let one of the admin know she will be in their waiting room." Then with a few clicks on her keyboard, Diane typed something up before turning to me. "Elizabeth, can you please give you mum and I a minute?"

I was still shocked and saw red rage course through me. Standing up and snatching my bag, I left the room heading to the waiting room.

"Elizabeth?" A lady called out to me. "Can you please wait in the sick bay." I was instructed and I frowned deeply.

Dragging my feet, I lost myself in thought. What was happening? My mother sounded so convinced. I know for a fact what she was saying were lies.

Or were they? I have friends. Steph, Tommy, Dean. I have people that help me. Ally and Aunty Mel.

Or do I?

I shook my head, trying to sift my thoughts. I don't think I live in a fantasy world? Do I?

I heard a commotion happening and sunk my head in to my shoulders as I heard the voices.

My mother.

She was yelling, going off, demanding for me.

I heard someone else speak, stating police will be called and then the school lock down alarm went off.

I was still shaking, petrified for myself. As quietly as possible, I snuck out off the room and away from the whole situation, leaving the office building altogether.

The alarm was loud and repetitive, and I could feel my heart beating in my chest. I dropped my school bag and ran. I ran away from the scene, from all the commotion and the next building that came to me was the library.

I opened the doors and saw the librarian turn to me, seeing my school uniform and ushered me to her.

I ran to her and ducked behind her desk as she held me low and we moved as quickly as possible to her office, locking the door.